Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I got some crazy old throwbacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Last few weeks, I've been swamped by calls from people looking to sell their cards. Problem is, 99% of the time its junk from the usual time span.

Got a call recently & the seller got on the phone with "i got some crazy old throwback cards....u buying?"

turns out "crazy old" is late 80s.

Another call had me totally stumped last week. My store is in the bronx, yankee country. Woman called with some cards to sell. Again, the junk yrs & earlier 90s.

I told her realistically, the few cards worth anything are jeter cards. She didn't know who he is. Wasn't even sure what team he is on.

Its come to the point that when someone calls asking if I buy baseball cards, first thing I say is yes, but not from the 80s, early 90s.

these cards will never go away, roaches & junk era cards will always be around.

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
And shows like Storage Wars, etc, will keep them calling. WHenever they see a guy on a show pick up a box of crap and say "I've got at least $2k in this box" they think it's God's word.

:lol: even when its something decent they way over price it.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
My boys got hooked on Storage Wars when they had a marathon a week or so ago. I love how they go through stuff, and throw out numbers on everything they see.

"That's $100. right there, that box of DVDs is another $40. I'm not sure what that is, but I think it'll bring some good coin."

What? When they take something to a place and have an expert take a look, okay. That's neat. But do these guys really get the coin out of everything they get? I'm skeptical.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
My boys got hooked on Storage Wars when they had a marathon a week or so ago. I love how they go through stuff, and throw out numbers on everything they see.

"That's $100. right there, that box of DVDs is another $40. I'm not sure what that is, but I think it'll bring some good coin."

What? When they take something to a place and have an expert take a look, okay. That's neat. But do these guys really get the coin out of everything they get? I'm skeptical.

I think those SW prices are just like any dealer's prices....they put a value on it but that doesn't mean it will sell OR if it does, it will sell for their amount

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
when people i know (who know im into cards) ask me "i have XXXX cards, what are they worth?"

i tell them unless they are from the 1950's or older, don't bother with them

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I have had numerous friends/coworkers ask me the same question after hearing i collected baseball cards. One time it actually panned out there. my coworker who is prior air force said she had some cards from the early 90s and asked if they were worth anything. I said probably not since all the cards from that era were so mass produced. She was like well these were only given out to the soldiers during desert storm. I was like SWEET 91 Topps Desert Storm cards. She had a bunch of loose cards and sealed packs. I explained to her that they were not worth a lot but were worth selling. I also informed her that chipper jones rc was the most expensive card. she didnt have any in the loose cards. I told her the packs would probably sell decently sealed but she said i could open them to look for the chipper. I opened like 15-20 packs i think but no chipper. I basically just sold them for her on ebay and she gave me a small cut. Ended up making her a few hundred bucks.

Members online

Latest posts