Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Joey Votto leading the NL in doubles with 36

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Last year, Joey Votto was the only National League player with 40 doubles, leading the league with exactly 40 doubles in 161 games.

This year, he already has 36 doubles in 86 games (of the Reds' 88 games), and he is on pace for 66.

No one has hit 60 doubles in a season since 1936.

Todd Helton hit 59 doubles in 2000, and Carlos Delgado hit 57 the same year. They are the only two players with more than 56 since Ducky Medwick's 64 in 1936.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Brian Roberts ht 50 or more doubles 3 different times. I thought that was a nice accomplishment. Doesn't look like he'll ever do it again though:(

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
And if he miraculously gets to 67, that will be the most all time in a single season. He's said his goal is to be the toughest out in baseball, and he's certainly achieved it in my mind.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't think he will ever accomplish anything in his career that is more bewildering than the fact that he has only pulled ONE ball foul in his entire career. ONE...Apparently he remembers the day that he did that.

I also heard that he has not popped up to the infield at all this year, which is incredible as well.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
And if he miraculously gets to 67, that will be the most all time in a single season. He's said his goal is to be the toughest out in baseball, and he's certainly achieved it in my mind.

He's got the highest OBP in the Majors this season, so by definition he's been the toughest out.

As far as the MVP race which someone else mentioned, if the season ended today I don't see any way that McCutchen does not win the award, though that does not diminish from what Votto has done.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He's got the highest OBP in the Majors this season, so by definition he's been the toughest out.

As far as the MVP race which someone else mentioned, if the season ended today I don't see any way that McCutchen does not win the award, though that does not diminish from what Votto has done.

Agreed. McCutchen would walk away with it. But Votto has been great and if McCutchen slips at all, he'll be there to swoop up the award.

Braun fanatics in 3....2....1....

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Agreed. McCutchen would walk away with it. But Votto has been great and if McCutchen slips at all, he'll be there to swoop up the award.

Braun fanatics in 3....2....1....

Lol

It depends who wins the central. Either Pit and Cutch get it or Cin and Votto

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Lol

It depends who wins the central. Either Pit and Cutch get it or Cin and Votto

I do not think the Pirates need to win the Central for McCutchen to get it. I think the Reds could take the Central the Pittsburgh could land a WC spot and McCutchen would still win the award. Supporting cast will come into play as well. Votto has better players around him that McCutchen. That's not taking away anything from Votto, it just makes McCutchen's season all more impressive.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
wow, now he's out for 4 weeks with torn meniscus....definitely should get Carlos Quentin or Justin Upton now.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Man, if only Votto was on the juice! All thoes deep gappers could be fence busters, the kid could be the next Bonds!!

Members online

Latest posts