Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Junk wax rookie quantities...how many are too many? Randy Johnson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Let's face it, I have a couple dirt cheap addictions in this hobby...Randy Johnson rookies and Dorin Dickerson 2009 National Treasures autographs to be more specific. It's the Randy Johnson rookies that are the question as hand.

I once had a goal of 100 Johnson rookies with no specific breakdown, just no traded or update (basically - no Mariners cards, Expos only). That goal shifted to 200, and then eventually 800. Well, I've hit 800.

So what's included in what I consider his "rookies" showing him in Expos gear?
- 1989 Donruss (both with and without asterisk versions)
- 1989 Donruss The Rookies
- 1989 Upper Deck
- 1989 Topps
- 1989 Topps Tiffany
- 1989 Score
- 1989 Score Young Superstars
- 1989 Score Hottest 100
- 1989 Fleer (including 30 or so various Marlboro variations)
- 1989 Fleer Glossy
- 1989 Topps Big
- 1989 Sportflics
- 1989 Classic
- 1989 Panini Stickers

The 800 number (814 to be exact) is a raw count as I don't count graded copies, although I have roughly 30 Gem examples of a mix of the above.

The question is, when to stop? For background, there is no realistic goal to this. IE: No grand plans to sell when he gets inducted, etc. Basically, just hoarding.

Thoughts?

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
When to stop? The better question is "why stop?" I do dig the idea of having one of each signed.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm thinking you corner the market, look at each one under a microscope to find microscopic differences and sell those as rare variations. Then make a massive bonfire and burn all but a single copy. Now the variations will be common and you will be the only one with a Randy Johnson rookie card. Imagine... a rare card from 1989. Most never believed such a thing was possible lol.

If it's fun and harmless, why not keep going. If you find yourself unable to get out of the house because the stacks block any exit from the room, you may have gone too far.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
If you have graded Gem 10 multiples, get one graded holder/case personally autographed on the front and submit to authenticate the auto'd slab. Maybe they will slab the slab.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
There are actually four versions of the 1989 Donruss: */LEAF , */LEAF. , **/LEAF , and **/LEAF. , the LEAF being the Leaf in the trademark line above the statbox. Time to double check your Donruss Johnsons!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
And I forgot the O-Pee-Chee as well.

THIS is what came to mind first!

89opc186PSA9.jpg

also ...

JohnsonRandy1989WoolwrthPSA9.jpg

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
When you've lost the joy of having mail days , it's time to stop. That being said, I don't think you're anywhere near that...

Members online