Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Donruss vs. MLBP litigation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Just a thread to update you all on the Donruss v MLB Properties litigation, deciphered from legalese into what-it-means-to-you.

The initial complaint was filed on 1/23/09, with Donruss' answer due on 2/13/09, which I was looking forward to reading.

On 2/13/08, the Judge approved a STIPULATION OF EXTENSION OF TIME TO ANSWER: The time for Defendants to serve an Answer or otherwise move in respond to the Complaint served on 1/23/09, is hereby extended, 20 (twenty) days, to 3/4/09.

I'll keep you all in the loop.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
For Donruss to stop using whole and partial MLB logos, stop using minor league player images, destruction of all product, treble damages, attorney's fees, actual damages, and all profits of Donruss.

And their first born male child.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Jeff N. said:
For Donruss to stop using whole and partial MLB logos, stop using minor league player images, destruction of all product, treble damages, attorney's fees, actual damages, and all profits of Donruss.

The bolded item is scary. They can take out Razor at the same time if they win this.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
ru4scuba said:
Jeff N. said:

The bolded item is scary. They can take out Razor at the same time if they win this.

Does that mean they could also go after anyone who makes 8x10s on eBay that aren't licensed by MLBPA?

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
i43770 said:
ru4scuba said:
Jeff N. said:

Does that mean they could also go after anyone who makes 8x10s on eBay that aren't licensed by MLBPA?

They already can, but for the most part don't because it is too time consuming and would cost too much. I'm actually hoping the MiLB will start to do this. People selling unlicensed photos on eBay hurts those of us who play by the rules.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
i43770 said:
ru4scuba said:
Jeff N. said:

Could, but won't. Nothing to be gained.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
destruction of all unopened product in warehouse would make donruss the product to have. I can imagine the spike in case price for stuff like deee, contenders and the like. unliscensed or not first auto cards would be must have, esp. contenders with ROOKIE across them.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
destruction of all unopened product in warehouse would make donruss the product to have. I can imagine the spike in case price for stuff like deee, contenders and the like. unliscensed or not first auto cards would be must have, esp. contenders with ROOKIE across them.

Why? I think they would only be able to destroy stuff Donruss has in their warehouses. The MLB won't go out store to store and destroy product. They could do a recall, but with all like that, if you have it already you have the option to keep what you have.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:

Why? I think they would only be able to destroy stuff Donruss has in their warehouses. The MLB won't go out store to store and destroy product. They could do a recall, but with all like that, if you have it already you have the option to keep what you have.

saying the same thing. donruss warehouse stuff. not likly any in warehouse. if they had say 200 cases in warehouse and had to destroy, live cases would go through roof and contenders prices on stars would go up 50% is what i am saying. dealer would never send back a money product.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
beefycheddar said:
[quote="Blue Hodges Reverend":33wdd7kl]destruction of all unopened product in warehouse would make donruss the product to have. I can imagine the spike in case price for stuff like deee, contenders and the like. unliscensed or not first auto cards would be must have, esp. contenders with ROOKIE across them.

saying the same thing. donruss warehouse stuff. not likly any in warehouse. if they had say 200 cases in warehouse and had to destroy, live cases would go through roof and contenders prices on stars would go up 50% is what i am saying. dealer would never send back a money product.[/quote:33wdd7kl]

if they didnt sell out of what is considered a "good" product, then there is a problem in the first place.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Jeff N. said:
Donruss is going to get their ass handed to them.

What I'm most interested in is the MLBP's complaint against the use of MiLB player likenesses. What's the deal with the "New York Civil Rights Law" that Donruss says allows them to use the image?