Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg and his inning limit for this season. What would you do?

Would you shut down Strasburg when he reaches his limit?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Shut him down but let him pitch of the teams makes the World Series

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
We all know Strasburg is on an inning limit this season following his surgery last year. But there is a lot of talk here in the DC area by the fans about letting him go over that limit if the Nationals make the playoffs. I was listening to the local sports radio show this morning and apparently no matter the situation Strasburg will be getting shut down. These fools were like well Jordan Zimmerman had to deal with it last year and even if the Nats win the World Series they were like "He will get over it." I don't think he would get over something like that, i know i wouldn't. I think when it gets closer to that time that he gets reassessed and go from there especially if the Nats are still competing.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If the Nats are truly serious about making it to the postseason, he will not be shut down.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Shut him down unless they make the playoffs, I know they're in a heated playoff battle now but this guy is a franchise player they're hoping to have for the next 12+ years at the least. Is one season worth endangering that? I think a lot of us don't understand just how hard it is on the arm to throw like SPs do and just how hard it is to get back to 100% from tommy john surgery. It's ended many careers

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Mortgage the future for the potential of the current season? Didn't the Cubs make that mistake with Wood and Prior? Be careful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
They have John Lannan pitching this weekend so i dont know of thats part of the plan or what. Even at a six man rotation he wont make it to the playoffs with his limit. Maybe only use him in relief?

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Mortgage the future for the potential of the current season? Didn't the Cubs make that mistake with Wood and Prior? Be careful.

I agree with this. Even if they make the playoffs, shut him down. No sense in ruining his career.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Use your horses to make a run when you have the chance to make a run. Who knows when they will contend again. He could get hit by a bus tomorrow. He could blow out his elbow in 10 years. Who knows? By all means, give him extra days off and skip a start here and there, but don't just completely shut him down.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one (and to no team). The NL is such a wide open race without a truly dominant team that if the Nationals are in 1st when Strasburg's innings limit is hit, I think they will reevaluate his condition and then let him go past the limit. I realize there is the spectre of Wood and Prior, lived in Wrigleyville at the time, but Dusty Baker ran Prior out there for 130+ pitches in 4 of 6 games in September. That high of pitch counts for a young pitcher late in the season is more damaging than total innings.

Back to Strasburg. I think the Nationals should trade for an SP. Maybe take a chance on Liriano or try to get Dempster, etc. With 6 starters I would not go to a 6 man rotation. Rather, I would give Strasburg 2-3 weeks off in August (maybe skip him 3 or 4 times through the rotation). He would still hit the innings in late September but with only a couple weeks left in the season it would be easier for the Nationals to decide to let him go past the innings limit.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one (and to no team). The NL is such a wide open race without a truly dominant team that if the Nationals are in 1st when Strasburg's innings limit is hit, I think they will reevaluate his condition and then let him go past the limit. I realize there is the spectre of Wood and Prior, lived in Wrigleyville at the time, but Dusty Baker ran Prior out there for 130+ pitches in 4 of 6 games in September. That high of pitch counts for a young pitcher late in the season is more damaging than total innings.

Back to Strasburg. I think the Nationals should trade for an SP. Maybe take a chance on Liriano or try to get Dempster, etc. With 6 starters I would not go to a 6 man rotation. Rather, I would give Strasburg 2-3 weeks off in August (maybe skip him 3 or 4 times through the rotation). He would still hit the innings in late September but with only a couple weeks left in the season it would be easier for the Nationals to decide to let him go past the innings limit.

Even without Strasburg the Nats have a great rotation. I dont think they need to trade for anyone. They have John Lannan pitching this weekend i dont know if its in hopes to showcase him for a potential trade or to help cut back with Strasburg.

Frow

That doesn't make any sense. Your going from mortgaging the immediate future to throwing away more prospects for the bit farther future. Its the same problem with different faces.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
If the Nats are truly serious about making it to the postseason, he will not be shut down.

I agree. The postseason is what they spent all this money for. You can't shut down your best pitcher and not give out your all to make the postseason.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas

Totally agree. He is just off Tommy John and he could be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 years. Shut him down. Its not like they have a chance to win it all even with him in the rotation.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Totally agree. He is just off Tommy John and he could be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 years. Shut him down. Its not like they have a chance to win it all even with him in the rotation.

No chance is a bit harsh. They have the third best record in all of baseball. They have 3 guys that could easily be the ace on most teams. Dont be so quick to count them out.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I think they should just stretch him out to every 7th day with bullpens in between. so they can still use him in the playoffs. even if he pitched every other start and they used another pitcher as a spot starter every other one of his starts.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Move him to the bullpen and let him pitch every 2-3 days for 1-2 innings of relief to keep his arm alive.

Have him keep throwing but dont shut him down completely otherwise they risk reinjuring the arm

Members online

Latest posts