Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Players who were "the best in baseball" this season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Some of the recent posts and hype surrounding Mike Trout had me thinking about how quickly people forget one guy and move on to project greatness for the next guy.

Just this season alone each of these guys were at one time "the best player in baseball."

Matt Kemp - Following last season, his red hot start had people wondering if in fact he could do 50-50 as he said in the offseason. Chrome RC Auto's were over $200. Then he got hurt

Josh Hamilton - Another player who started out incredibly hot. His power numbers were insane, and when Kemp went down (some would say even before) he was largely viewed as "the best player in baseball."

Joey Votto - When Hamilton cooled down (due to injury and diminished play) Votto was the next guy. People waxed poetic about his pop-out rates and fall ball rates and other obscure metrics that no one ever really considered much before, but sounded incredible. Taking his number over a 3 year period the praise was effusive. It did not last long despite maintaining a high level of performance because...

Andrew McCutchen has had a hot streak over the last 2 months beyond any that anyone has seen in a really long time. Now batting .370+ with 22 homers, he's a young stud at a premium position who is the best player in the game unless...

Mike Trout really is. Despite less than half a season to go by, it seems like he's been annointed.

Point is, don't get too caught up in the moment. If you are unsure, sell high and don't look back.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Great post. As a McCutchen/Pirates fan, I hope he remains the best in baseball, other than the fact that I can no longer afford his cards.

Latest posts