Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting Bowman 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanW

Dec 5, 2011
Check us out at http://www.baseballcardprospector.com

Jurickson Profar, Xander Bogaerts and the Boston Fan Base

Categories: Uncategorized
by RyanW
July 19, 2012

Several Mid-Season prospects updates have been released recently. I am happy to see that my Ranger, Jurickson Profar is at or near the top of all of them. However, to me it means that it is time to begin the sell phase for Mr. Profar. He is officially getting hyped for the true stud and future superstar he is and his card prices have reflected that. For those of us that got in early on Profar it’s a nice time to start reaping some profits. Don’t get me wrong, this probably isn’t the absolute peak for Profar, he still likely has more run in his prices if and when he performs at AAA and gets his call up, but for Prospectors the safe exit point is beginning now as you can’t get better than Number one on Keith Law’s prospect list. Sell some Profar now and slowly continue the disposition as you watch prices continue to rise (and avoid a potential injury or regression). Let’s hope he doesn’t pull a Teheran on us.
When I chose to buy into Profar, he really had everything going for him you want to see as a prospector.
1. He played a premium position
2. His tools were great and his upside was phenomenal on the field.
3. He hadn’t received a ton of hype from the big Prospect lists.
4. He played for a Big Market (Boston, New York, Chicago, LA/San Fran, Dallas/Fort Worth and to a slightly lesser extent St. Louis) I think playing for a big market team is the single most important driver other than a player’s talent…see Jackie Bradley Jr.
5. He was dominating much older competition- this is what stars do!
Using these key ideas and applying them to the 2012 Bowman Chrome Auto Crop I see a handful of hitters that profile for prospectors like Profar (Taveras, Bell, Bogaerts). For me the guy to stock up on is Xander Bogaerts. Taveras is probably a better talent but his prices have already jumped a ton.

Xander on the other hand can be bought for the following as this post:
Refractors: $40-55
Blues: $125-$135
1. Plays a premium position: He plays SS- but will probably move to 3b
2. His tools were great and his upside was phenomenal on the field. Scouts rave about his easy power!
3. He hadn’t received a ton of hype from the big Prospect lists. Keith Law has him at 29. Sickels has him much higher.
4. He played for a Big Market (Boston, New York, Chicago, LA/San Fran, Dallas/Fort Worth and to a slightly lesser extent St. Louis) I think playing for a big market team is the single most important driver other than a player’s talent…see Jackie Bradley Jr. He plays for the most rabid baseball card collecting fan base!
5. He was dominating much older competition- this is what stars do! Xander is mashing as 19 year old in the Carolina League
check out a recent article http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/xander-...eyeler-of-hanley-ramirez-alfonso-soriano.html
I’d love to hear your comments about Xander.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I agree with all of your logic about Xander. I think he is a phenomenal talent and definitely that third baseman of the future for Boston. The only thing I'm going to disagree with you on is out of the two Boston players, at this point I think JBJ is a better investment. Lower buyin, left-handed hitter with Fenway's dimensions who has all of the stuff to be a great player.

Members online

Latest posts