Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what happened to Hanley Ramirez?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
he is at the same games played as last year and stats are
almost dead on the same. Basically he sucks compared to 07.
did he age suddenly? no protection? unknown injury?
seems amazing his suckiness. chrome autos down in the 40's.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
He is a prima donna. Another in a long list of players with all the skill in the world but don't have the drive to be great. I can't stand players like him who think who think baseball owes them something and think they walk on water.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
He is a prima donna. Another in a long list of players with all the skill in the world but don't have the drive to be great. I can't stand players like him who think who think baseball owes them something and think they walk on water.

Yep, this is why the Redsox traded him for Beckett. There were stories of Hanley not giving it his all and pissing off his coaches in the minors. This is what separates Trout and Harper from players like Ramirez. They have the skills to be great as well as the desire.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Yep, this is why the Redsox traded him for Beckett. There were stories of Hanley not giving it his all and pissing off his coaches in the minors. This is what separates Trout and Harper from players like Ramirez. They have the skills to be great as well as the desire.

How do you explain hanley's success his first few years in the Bigs then, and what makes you do sure guys like trout and Harper will not also follow a similar path? I am quite confident boston wishes they never made that trade.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Obvious as it may sound now, he was overrated in some way despite his physical tools and talents; some attributes just aren't easy or possible to measure.

I suppose he may still come back but its not easy to regain lost hobby popularity... there's always someone "new and better" LOL.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
How do you explain hanley's success his first few years in the Bigs then, and what makes you do sure guys like trout and Harper will not also follow a similar path? I am quite confident boston wishes they never made that trade.

I would say based on what has happened since the trade Boston would make it again any day of the week. They won a World Series due to it. They do not win the World Series without Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett. Beckett may be a ****** rocket now, but he won them the ALCS in 2007 which led to the World Series win.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I would say based on what has happened since the trade Boston would make it again any day of the week. They won a World Series due to it. They do not win the World Series without Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett. Beckett may be a ****** rocket now, but he won them the ALCS in 2007 which led to the World Series win.
Beat me to it. I was sad to see Hanley traded but when Lowell came to the Sox he was such an amazing player to watch. Beckett was so good in 07' as well and without them we would have never won the WS. Was their a better pitcher in the 07' playoffs then Beckett?

Now seeing how Hanley has played over the past two seasons I would say it was a great trade for the Sox!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Alot of guys show major potential and promise then fade for whatever reason.

It happens. Baseball is a very cyclical game when it comes to that.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Beat me to it. I was sad to see Hanley traded but when Lowell came to the Sox he was such an amazing player to watch. Beckett was so good in 07' as well and without them we would have never won the WS. Was their a better pitcher in the 07' playoffs then Beckett?

Now seeing how Hanley has played over the past two seasons I would say it was a great trade for the Sox!

Hanley was the second best player in baseball over a three year stretch. Beckett had his moments but Hanleys value far exceeded Beckett and Lowell combined.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
The reason these players dont have the drive to be great is because after they sign that contract all they have to do is play baseball. They will get payed to suck for 5 years and know they are starter.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I heard a rumor of a Hanley and heath Bell to Boston for Carl Crawford. Now wouldn't that be hilarious. Maybe playing in Boston will boost Hanley's desire.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It's a shame that he has fallen so far, as he was once almost the pinnacle of youth and performance! What gets me is that he is not just suffering in any one or two metrics of the game but rather in just about every single measurable statistic trackable. Average, power, speed, ect... I simply do not buy the 'big contract' idea that he has stopped putting 100% effort and feel that something tangable is happening/happened. Could he be older than he says? Hitting the age barrior where speed and agility begin to slide? Suffering from some sort of nagging injury? Off the juice? Family/life issues?? Something is wrong and his overall game is well below what he was producing for the first 4 or 5 years of his career. Fortunatly he is still (alledgedly) young enough that a couple/few years of mediocracy will not matter all that much if he can turn things around and get back to form. But, and again, I really feel something is off kilter here...

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Hanley was the second best player in baseball over a three year stretch. Beckett had his moments but Hanleys value far exceeded Beckett and Lowell combined.

Another Red Sox fan here.....I echo what others were saying, I'm not sure there was a moment where I ever regretted the Red Sox making that trade, there was never a time I was upset about it, even with the Red Sox revolving door at SS.

Even when, as you said, Hanley was one of the best players in baseball.......From my perspective it was the proverbial teams where both teams won.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Boston makes that trade ten times out of ten. But would Florida?
I think so. Keep in mind it was a salary dump for the Marlins as well. They would have had to pay Beckett and Lowell quite a bit of money if they wanted to keep them, and over the first 5 years they had Hanley they paid him a little under $14million. Remember that Anibal Sanchez was a big piece of the trade for the Marlins who has been one of their most consistent pitchers over the past handful of years, and from 06'-11' he made a hair over $6million. With that $20million the Marlins wouldn't have been able to keep both Beckett and Lowell for more than 1 season.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
i was close to purchasing a hanley gold 9.5/10 before the 2011 season. Luckily I decided not to

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The same thing that happens to a lot of modern players. He is 28 years old, has 25+ million dollars to his name and is due a guaranteed 46+ million more over the next 3 years including this season. What reason does he have to give a XXXX anymore.

Members online

Latest posts