Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 Topps Finest Rookie Autograph Ink variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
I have posted this question on a few other message boards without any responses, so I thought I would check here to see if anyone could offer some insight.

While I was looking through my Ashley Lelie collection, which could use some more cards (see my post in the Football - Transaction Buy/Sell/Trade category) I noticed that I have one 2002 Topps Finest Rookie Autograph which is signed in Black Ink, rather than the standard Blue Ink. I first thought that with the serial number being 0066 of 1200, maybe the first 100 or so were signed in black ink, but after a little research I have found few additional black ink and one purple ink autographs of different players in the set and found no obvious serial number patterns. I do weekly searches for Ashley Lelie rookie cards, and have only seen this one copy which is signed with Black Ink.

If there are no known ink variations, is it more likely that the blue pen/marker turned “black” in color when it was running out of ink, so maybe these black ink signatures were the last few signed before switching to a new pen?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time and hopefully assistance.

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
It appears that no one has any information about these variations? When I asked Topps about this subject, I was told that type of information isn’t kept for more than a year and I should contact Beckett, but they were no help, just telling me that there are no recorded differences in price, for the ink variants.

I don't expect anyone to know the exact print runs; I'm just looking for an explanation for the color variants and/or a list of possible colors, so that I can add at least one of each to my collection.

How about cards you own or have seen, are there any other ink variations I should be looking for other than blue, black and maybe purple?

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
Maybe a scan will help assist, in getting some information about these (bottom center) black ink variations.

2002Finestautos.jpg

As you can see, the autograph is clearly a different color and it appears that the pen/marker may have been running out of ink, which could explain why so few (the only one I have ever seen) were signed with black ink.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
There are quite a few sets out there that have different ink variations where the print runs weren't noted. See, back in the day, they suscribed to the normal theory that, who cares if it's signed in blue or black... Then Contenders came along and said, hey, there is only 36 of these Palmers signed in black ink, much less than the blue ink... Creating the dumbest parallels ever.

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for the response.

I agree, ink variations are not the most creative of parallels, but they are interesting, especially when there is little to no information about them.

With my collection missing the autographed xfractor, because it was never produced, I’m left with searching for all of the different possible ink variations I can find, if there are any more.