Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Olympic Baseball Predictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Japan

Oh wait, that's right, the fuxking IOC decided to take baseball and softball out of the games after 08.

Softball and baseball are competing with karate, roller sports, squash, sports climbing, wakeboard and wushu for inclusion in 2020. Only one spot on the Olympic program is open.

Final decision

The IOC executive board will decide next May which sport to recommend for inclusion. The final decision will be made in a vote of the full IOC in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

The absence of major league players in the Olympics was a major factor in the IOC's decision to drop baseball, and the issue remains crucial to any chance of reinstatement. Major League Baseball has been unwilling to shut down the season during the Olympics.

"If they don't propose their best athletes it will be difficult," Oswald said. "If they do, then they have a chance just like the others."

Porter and Fraccari said they have scheduled a meeting with MLB officials in New York on Aug. 1 to seek a solution.

"Most people tell me that without commitment from MLB, it's not going to work," Porter said. "It would certainly strengthen our bid if the MLB says they will commit their players."

Pro baseball leagues in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Australia are committed to taking part.

"We have to be realistic about how MLB can release their players," Fraccari said.

The Italian proposes a shortened Olympic tournament that could be completed in five or six days, making it easier for major leaguers to play. He also raised the possibility they could be released to play just for the semifinals and final.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Baseball has the World Baseball Classic. Its not the Olympics.... but its pretty much the same thing. Could MLB shut down for 2-3 weeks mid season like hockey? What if Clayton Kershaw got injured and ruin the Dodgers chances of making the postseason. What if Robinson Cano got injured and left a hole in the Yankees lineup with 6 weeks left in the season?

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I think it should only be college/high school senior players on the teams, what are the US Teams for anyway?

How boring has olympic basketball gotten since the pros have been allowed to play?

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
I think it should only be college/high school senior players on the teams, what are the US Teams for anyway?

How boring has olympic basketball gotten since the pros have been allowed to play?
Yup
Plus the DR, Japan and Cuban teams have lots of Pros.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I thought they originally stated that baseball was not included because the USA would dominate like they did in softball.

I can sorta see the argument that they want the best to compete. Since it wouldn't just be the USA that doesn't have it's best players. Other teams would be missing some huge pieces too. Especially the DR and Venezuela.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
The IOC mantra has always been amateur athletes, an all of a sudden they're clamoring for Pros to be released.

Nash never played for Canada, wasn't allowed. Too dangerous.

Members online

Latest posts