Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WILL ZACK GREINKE BE TRADED?

What do you think will happen to Zack Greinke?

• Get Traded

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Sign a Long Term Extension with the Brewers

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Do you think Zack Greinke will get traded or sign a long term deal with the Brewers at 5 years for over $100 million? An interesting tidbit after another debacle by our bullpen last night. One of the first commercials after the loss was Zack's wife doing a charity commercial, first time I have ever seen that. You would think if they didn't like it here or didn't want to stay or were not going to sign the deal she would not be the spokesperson for this charity. I cannot see them up and leaving, remember Zack is a different animal, so you never know.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I hope he stays

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
He gets traded.

What's worse is seeing what Cain, Escobar and Odorizzi are doing for the Royals right now. This is a serious kick in the shorts as far as I am concerned, because Attansio/Melvin promised the would make every effort to sign him but it isn't happening.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Last night was EXACTLY what the "Trade-Greinke-Now" crowd needed: he dominates, shows no sign of rust or injury, has a stellar defensive play and hits a friggin' home run off of Cliff Lee. Toss in Hammels being locked up, thus making Greinke THE best SP on the block, and you'd have to be stupid NOT to trade him.

However, if we can't get at least a 1st round talent for him, what's the point? Either an established 1st rounder, or at least 2 decent prospects. The comp picks the Brewers would get for him HAVE to be factored in here. I know it's bird-in-the-hand mentality, but the Brewers could either get one good prospect out of him now, or, thanks to the lottery picks, have at least 4 picks before the second round next year.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Milwaukee wont pay him what he will want, which going off Hamels signing, would probably be 5-6/120-135

marterburn

Last night was EXACTLY what the "Trade-Greinke-Now" crowd needed: he dominates, shows no sign of rust or injury, has a stellar defensive play and hits a friggin' home run off of Cliff Lee. Toss in Hammels being locked up, thus making Greinke THE best SP on the block, and you'd have to be stupid NOT to trade him.

However, if we can't get at least a 1st round talent for him, what's the point? Either an established 1st rounder, or at least 2 decent prospects. The comp picks the Brewers would get for him HAVE to be factored in here. I know it's bird-in-the-hand mentality, but the Brewers could either get one good prospect out of him now, or, thanks to the lottery picks, have at least 4 picks before the second round next year.

Exactly. With the new CBA, what you hope to get back is equivilent talent to what you'd get in compensation for losing him in FA, and there's no way any GM wanting Greinke will give more for the rental. Benefit to the Brewers would be the talent received is closer to the majors.

(I'll go with the easiest exaple and use the Rangers here.) Thatis why Olt nearly off the table, he's more valuable than a 1st rounder in the 20's at this point. It's why Cody Buckel looks like a significant piece of any trade package with the Rangers; he'd be valued right there at the end of the 1st round. I think the best case scenario for the Brewers is with the Rangers, and they'd probably have to kick in something more than Greinke for this, but I think getting Buckel and Odor would be great.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008

Don't forget they changed the compensation rules.
There in no "Type A" Free Agents like we knew it and you no longer get two picks......
If Greinke walks the Brewers will have to have offered him a qualifying offer (probably around 13m) and the most they will receive is one sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
The new CBA is effecting trades this year for sure. I've always liked Greinke. He's always seriously underrated in fantasy baseball. I feel like the Yankees would have already made a deal if they weren't worried about his anxiety. They wanted him before when he was with KC.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Don't forget they changed the compensation rules.
There in no "Type A" Free Agents like we knew it and you no longer get two picks......
If Greinke walks the Brewers will have to have offered him a qualifying offer (probably around 13m) and the most they will receive is one sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round.

What happens to the signing team's pick? They forfeit their 1st Round pick still (unless in the top 10, then 2nd Round), just like before. Does that mean that the 1st Round will basically be shorter (as in, the number of selections), based on the number of free agents signed to other-than-top-10-selecting teams?

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
What happens to the signing team's pick? They forfeit their 1st Round pick still (unless in the top 10, then 2nd Round), just like before. Does that mean that the 1st Round will basically be shorter (as in, the number of selections), based on the number of free agents signed to other-than-top-10-selecting teams?

Yeah it looks like the team that signs them will still lose their pick, but now it just disappears.
I'm not going to lie, I wasn't even aware of that until I did some double-checking before that last post to confirm what I was about to type was in fact correct.

It's kind of weird that those picks just won't exist, but I guess that may make the compensation picks a little better, if it is in fact a shorter first-round.

Frow

The new CBA is effecting trades this year for sure. I've always liked Greinke. He's always seriously underrated in fantasy baseball. I feel like the Yankees would have already made a deal if they weren't worried about his anxiety. They wanted him before when he was with KC.

I'd go out on a limb and guess that this was one of the factors of Hamels staying in Philly, probably not the primary reason but surely a small factor.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah it looks like the team that signs them will still lose their pick, but now it just disappears.
I'm not going to lie, I wasn't even aware of that until I did some double-checking before that last post to confirm what I was about to type was in fact correct.

It's kind of weird that those picks just won't exist, but I guess that may make the compensation picks a little better, if it is in fact a shorter first-round.

Reading the actual text of the CBA I still wasn't sure. But I found an article from the head Brewers writer that basically confirmed that the pick simply vanishes.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Will there be a bidding war between the Rangers and the Angels? The Braves sound like there about ready to give up a ton for Greinke. I think the White Soxs are out unless they can get another team involved and the Orioles have no chance at all. I hate to say this but the next few days should be fun to watch.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I had read a linked article thru Twitter last night (From MLB.com somewhere) that stated the White Sox and Kenny Williams were on the phone for over an hour yesterday trying to formulate a package. They couldn't come up with anything apparently. Doesn't surprise me. We already have three Jared Mitchell's.

My bet is the Braves or Rangers.

Members online