Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you rather win a pro-sports championship or an olympic gold medal?

Would you rather win a pro-sports championship or an olympic gold medal?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
ESPN is currently running this poll on their homepage. Their poll is currently split at 50%/50% which I find really fascinating and I think it makes for good discussion. Vote in the poll here and offer your 2 cents.

For me, it's not even remotely close. I'd rather win a pro sports championship. My entire personal calendar is centered around professional sports and it just feels so much more substantial when it comes to my everyday life. That is, I think a huge part of winning a championship is bragging rights and I'm way more likely to run in to, say, a Yankees fan, than I am to run in to, say, a Russian.

I think a lot of it has to do with whether you are voting thinking of yourself as an athlete or as a fan. I might have a different response if I was an athlete. One person whose response to this question I would really like to hear is Pau Gasol. Dude is 100% NBA and 100% Spain.

All of this having been said, I can also see the other side of the argument. I think we all put our country above our favorite pro sports teams and I can see this translating for many to meaning we put our country's teams above our favorite pro sports teams. It's fun to band together with everyone in your country for a common (rooting) cause, too.

I'd still rather win a pro sports championship. I'd be more pissed if I went the rest of my life without the Red Sox winning another World Series than if I went the rest of my life without the US Men's Basketball team (my favorite Olympic entity) winning another gold medal.

How about you?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's easy to say "world championship" in whatever sport you've loved your entire life but winning Olympic gold is extremely rare and huge for your country. I think of what other people would think, like my family, kids, etc. and to be an Olympic gold medalist, that's just special. Back-ups and bench players and guys who never see playing time have won championships in major sports... You have to be the absolute world best to win Olympic gold.

Just my opinion... Cool thread.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
It's easy to say "world championship" in whatever sport you've loved your entire life but winning Olympic gold is extremely rare and huge for your country. I think of what other people would think, like my family, kids, etc. and to be an Olympic gold medalist, that's just special. Back-ups and bench players and guys who never see playing time have won championships in major sports... You have to be the absolute world best to win Olympic gold.

Just my opinion... Cool thread.

Very good point about the backups. I think a lot of it comes down to whether you think of it in terms of teams vs. individuals. I'd rather see the US win a gold than Dustin Pedroia win a WS. I'd rather see the Red Sox win a WS than Chris Paul win a gold.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
For me, I would rather win the World Series than the Gold medal in baseball. I would rather win the UEFA Champions League than the Gold medal in soccer. I would rather win the Stanley Cup than the Gold medal in hockey.

However, I would prefer to win the Gold medal in basketball than the NBA championship.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
In a world championship usually you are representing yourself, family, team, city, state, and your division ect. In the olympics you are representing your entire country. For me I think it also depends on which event I got the medal in. If it was curling or ping pong then I would def take the world championship but if it was in something like the 100 meter and you can say you are the fastest man in the world then give me that medal.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
That is a good question.

I chose Gold Medal, but have no idea what event. Maybe one of the weird sports like curling or fencing would be cool.

In a perfect world, it would be Gold Medal in the most awesome event in the Summer Olympics, the decathlon.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
I always dreamed of playing in a world series. The Stanley Cup is cool.

But this

golden-goal+(7).jpg

The Flames could win 3 cups in a row and I don't think if would match this.

Its about playing for your country, not just the name on your back.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It really depends on the sport for me.

If I was a baseball player (and if baseball was still in the Olympics), winning a medal and being a part of the Olympics would be cool, but not a lot of people care about olympic baseball. I would much rather win a World Series or even a WBC.

If I was a basketball player, I would much rather have that gold medal. Olympics comes but once every 4-years, where as the NBA Championship is every year.

I feel the same way about hockey. The Stanley Cup happens once every year. It's a great feat, but owning a gold medal would be even better.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
For me, olympic gold, and it's not even close. To be considered the worlds finest athletic specimen for your respective sport/catagory on the world largest stage is second to none. The personal feeling of acomplishment and pride must be immense!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I have had my picture taken wearing a 1959 Dodgers World Series and 2006 Yankees world series ring , App. state football championship , no camera but wore 1980 Pittsburgh Super Bowl ring , picture taken with World Champion Water Skiers but i've NEVER seen any Olympic metals or met anybody that was in Olympics .

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It would depend on the event, probably. For me, a major individual Olympic event like 100m dashwould be the pinnacle, otherwise either World Series with the Phillies.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think a lot of people are getting stuck on "what's the event?".

Also, as of this Olympics, baseball isn't an Olympic sport any longer, so for everyone that wants a WS over a Gold medal in Baseball, that isn't an option.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Depends on sport in the Olympics- the gold medal winning '80 USA hockey team transcend sports. That was bigger than any world championship in professional sports. Winning gold as part of a "team" would be more meaningful to me since I only played team sports. But when baseball was an Olympic sport, was winning a gold more significant than winning the World Series? I don't think so.

Of course if I were a "pro" archer or wrestler, the gold medal would be the pinnacle of success.