Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Astros Trade Chris Johnson to the Diamondbacks For Bobby Borchering + Marc Krauss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Wow. The Astros' farm system just keeps getting better.

Diamondbacks Acquire Chris Johnson
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 29, 2012 at 12:26pm CST]
The Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Astros for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering, the teams announced. Borchering, 21, was Arizona's first round pick in the 2009 draft while Krauss, 24, was taken in the second round of the same draft.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Are those prospects any good? If so, how is Chris Johnson worth that much?

Borchering has 25-30 HR potential, although he K's a lot. Krauss has a good bat. Both are average defenders. I'd guess both will make the Astros' top 20 prospects list.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Dominguez, Grossman, Cain, Borchering, Krauss. The 'Stros are definitely serious about prospects this year.

triplehattrick21

Apr 18, 2010
Denver, CO
I think i like the fact that borchering got traded. Id much rather have him in a diamondback uni instead of an astro, however being an astro I think it puts him in line much quicker to get to the majors vs. being a diamondback.

triplehattrick21

Apr 18, 2010
Denver, CO
Borchering is only 21, great power, if he can develope more if his other game I think he could become a stud player. The dbacks definitely gave up wayyyy to much in this trade IMO.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
CJ is certainly not the D-backs long-term fix for 3B for third but they didn't give up much to get him either. A couple of marginal prospects for a guy who instantly upgrades third offensively. Sounds like a perfect deadline deal to me.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
CJ is certainly not the D-backs long-term fix for 3B for third but they didn't give up much to get him either. A couple of marginal prospects for a guy who instantly upgrades third offensively. Sounds like a perfect deadline deal to me.

Id have rather them play Borchering at 3rd than Chris Johnson quite honestly

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
I dont like this at all.

Dbacks basically gave up on Borchering and decided Wheeler isnt ready yet.

Chris Johnson over Ryan Roberts isn't much of an upgrade at all. Chris Johnson has 12-15 hr potential but has a poor k/bb rate. His defense is also below average.
we will see how this turns out at least Chris Johnson is only 27 and is still a cheap option salary wise that won't hurt the D'backs payroll.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You must really hate the D-backs then. Borchering has debilitating contact issues, sporting a nearly 30% strikeout rate in his minor league career, all in the low minors. He's never played above the competition at any level (including 2 stints in CAL league), he's over his head in double-A now and will continue to struggle in the upper levels. There is no chance he becomes a star, very little chance he'll be better than Chris Davis. I'd put good money that Borchering doesn't ever stick at the major league level. Sounds like D-backs agree.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You must really hate the D-backs then. Borchering has debilitating contact issues, sporting a nearly 30% strikeout rate in his minor league career, all in the low minors. He's never played above the competition at any level (including 2 stints in CAL league), he's over his head in double-A now and will continue to struggle in the upper levels. There is no chance he becomes a star, very little chance he'll be better than Chris Davis. I'd put good money that Borchering doesn't ever stick at the major league level. Sounds like D-backs agree.

Calling out my fancard, huh?

I would rather see them give their former first round pick a chance before trading him for someone who isnt much better than average.

Of course Borchering has issues, hes still young. How else is he gonna fix em and prove himself unless he actually gets a chance?

Hey question for ya, whats it like to have a magic crystal ball that can tell you the future since you obviously know how his career will end up

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Calling out my fancard, huh?

I would rather see them give their former first round pick a chance before trading him for someone who isnt much better than average.

Of course Borchering has issues, hes still young. How else is he gonna fix em and prove himself unless he actually gets a chance?

Hey question for ya, whats it like to have a magic crystal ball that can tell you the future since you obviously know how his career will end up

No need to get so defensive, brother. I just pay attention more than most, that's all.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
free-cute-smileys-289.gif

I want the D-backs to win, too. Love going to games.

Members online

Latest posts