Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting pitchers in the Hall of Fame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Before Bert Blyleven in 2011, who was the last starting pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame by the BBWAA in one of their 15 years of eligibility? Would you believe it was Nolan Ryan, 1999?

Since Ryan's election, the HOF has honored Dennis Eckersley, Bruce Sutter, and Rich Gossage, but no other starting pitchers. It's hard to believe that there were 11 consecutive elections without one starting pitcher being enshrined.

There were a ton of starting pitchers elected in the 90s: Palmer, Perry, Jenkins, Seaver, Carlton, Niekro, and Sutton, not counting the Veteran's Committee selections.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Were there any starters on the ballot that were even worthy of induction? I can't think of any, and I'm drawing a blank thinking of HOF-caliber starters that debuted in the late 70's-era that would have been on the ballot in the last few years.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jack Morris is about the only one I can think of that would have approached it. There were a lot of good starting pitchers that debuted in the 70s, but precious few that stuck it out for a lengthy and impressive career. Think of your star pitchers of the late 70s, early 80s:

Ron Guidry
Steve Rogers
Randy Jones
J.R. Richard
Vida Blue
Rick Reuschel
John Denny
Burt Hooten
Jon Matlack
Scott McGregor
Mike Flanagan
Dennis Leonard

Lots of very good pitchers, even aces, but they just weren't consistent enough for long enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts