Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

APOH 500 vs. APOH 3000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I thought this was interesting. A seller recently had the 1999 A Piece of History 500 Homerun club bat card and 2000 A Piece of History 3000 hit club Bat/Jersey card up at the same time. The APOH 500 club went for $190, while the APOH 3000 club went for $270. The 500 club is /350 while the 3000 club is /100, which may explain the difference. For years I favored the 500 club bat cards, but recently have taken a real liking to the 3000 hit club set which seems to be harder to find. (Unfortunately, UD never updated that set like they did with the 500 club when new members joined.)

Which do you prefer?

$(KGrHqN,!jUE+u!eqJ+uBQDDw70yg!~~60_12.JPG

dodgerblue

Jul 12, 2012
I like them both. The APOH 500 has all the "core" historic figures, but the APOH 3000 is something a little different (and I personally think, moving forward, a more difficult achievement than 500 HR). It's a shame they didn't update it.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think a Better Comparision would be the 3000 Club Bat cards /350 vs the 500 Club bat cards also numbered /350. As im sure if the 500 club set also had Bat and jersey Pieces combined on one card /100 they would far outsell the 3000 club set. I own the complete set of 3000 hit club Bat cards from the set and the 500 club bat set and would take the 500 club set (Bats only) over the 3000 set anytime. Like you mentioned above they never continued or finished the 3000 club set :confused: and just blows, but i am working on a project to try and complete a 3000 club set with all the players.

HankAaronBat3000Club.jpg

HankAaron500clubbat.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I forgot the 3000 club single bat (and jersey) cards were /350. They clearly do not sell for close what the 500 Club bat cards get as you point out. Both really sweet sets, but as far as those two, you are right there's no comparison.

I would love a chance to come across more of the APOH 3000 club auto's... that's a set I would love to go after if the budget was completely no issue.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The 3000 set has more guys, including some pretty good pre-WWI ones (Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Paul Waner). I think that makes me prefer it, covering really a greater span of the game from the 19th century to the 70s, as I think Clemente and Kaline were the last members of the group, chronologically. However, I didn't like the way they made more varieties that make it so much harder to make a really complete set. You kind of have to resign yourself to taking a decade or more to track down all the dual-GU pieces #/100 or #/50, or just stick with the mono-piece base models, which is fine. In that respect, the 500 set is superior in the purity of its composition. And the 500 set is more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. But I still prefer the 3000 set. If/when UD finally crumbles and Panini or whoever picks them up, or maybe before that, they should make a Pete Rose card.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
The 3000 set has more guys, including some pretty good pre-WWI ones (Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Paul Waner). I think that makes me prefer it, covering really a greater span of the game from the 19th century to the 70s, as I think Clemente and Kaline were the last members of the group, chronologically. However, I didn't like the way they made more varieties that make it so much harder to make a really complete set. You kind of have to resign yourself to taking a decade or more to track down all the dual-GU pieces #/100 or #/50, or just stick with the mono-piece base models, which is fine. In that respect, the 500 set is superior in the purity of its composition. And the 500 set is more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. But I still prefer the 3000 set. If/when UD finally crumbles and Panini or whoever picks them up, or maybe before that, they should make a Pete Rose card.

Its a shame they Left off several Players, Pete Rose like you mentioned, Honus Wagner, Nap Lajoie, Eddie Collins, Rickey Henderson, Cap Anson and the 3 New players like Rafael Palmeiro, Craig Biggio and Derek Jeter. Of those player all can be done except Cap Anson whom i have never seen a memorbilia card of.

Members online