Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contenders: Preview vs. Regular- Difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I collect Brad Mills and just learned that there were previews of these cards. How in the hell do I spot the difference?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
img437.jpg

The one on the left is a preview, and the one on the right is from the base set. Preview cards have a refractory sheen to the front of them whereas the legit contenders have a chrome like sheen.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:
img437.jpg

The one on the left is a preview, and the one on the right is from the base set. Preview cards have a refractory sheen to the front of them whereas the legit contenders have a chrome like sheen.

Cool, thanks. Kinda sucks, though cause different scanners can provide a Refractor look.

whityscards

Aug 26, 2008
soccerman034 said:
img437.jpg

previews come from 08 Prime Cuts correct?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
whityscards said:
soccerman034 said:
img437.jpg

Yes and are supposedly numbered to 99 or less.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
soccerman034 said:
whityscards said:
soccerman034 said:
img437.jpg

I've read your response's in each Contenders thread (where you bring up the Previews to "hype them up" a bit) but I'm curious as to where you read that thier printed to 99 or less? All that I've seen was the sell sheet stating that these were to be "serial numbered to 99" (well that fell through as they are not serial #d/99). So does this now mean that they have a print run of 99 (or less)? Just curious, as you've brought this up rather often lately & I wanted to know if you found out something that I hadn't seen or heard about on these print runs? :D

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
HoustonTeams4Me said:
soccerman034 said:
whityscards said:
soccerman034 said:
img437.jpg

I've read your response's in each Contenders thread (where you bring up the Previews to "hype them up" a bit) but I'm curious as to where you read that thier printed to 99 or less? All that I've seen was the sell sheet stating that these were to be "serial numbered to 99" (well that fell through as they are not serial #d/99). So does this now mean that they have a print run of 99 (or less)? Just curious, as you've brought this up rather often lately & I wanted to know if you found out something that I hadn't seen or heard about on these print runs? :D

First of all, why are you accusing me of hyping them up? I own a total of three preview contenders, and two of them are PC items. I resent that accusation.

Secondly, my assumption that the Contenders Preview cards + the Leaf Limited cards are limited to 99 or less is due to both information from the Prime Cuts sell sheet...No where within the sell sheet is it stated that any of the cards would be serial numbered. I have been conversing with a Donruss rep through email for the past week or so, and have just sent him an email to verify they the preview cards are indeed limited to 99 copies or less.

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
I counted the number of Prime Cuts autos and the number of Preview autos (Limited and Contenders) that showed up on Ebay for a few specific players in the first couple weeks after release. I would be really, really surprised if there were any less than 200 of each of the preview autos (i.e. 200 of each player's Contenders preview and 200 of his Limited preview). I think the /99 idea was scrapped.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
asmth312 said:
I counted the number of Prime Cuts autos and the number of Preview autos (Limited and Contenders) that showed up on Ebay for a few specific players in the first couple weeks after release. I would be really, really surprised if there were any less than 200 of each of the preview autos (i.e. 200 of each player's Contenders preview and 200 of his Limited preview). I think the /99 idea was scrapped.

No one really knows for sure, but from what I've seen on eBay, it really seems to me that the Leaf Limiteds are far more scarce than the Contenders. I still think the Limiteds ended up at or very close to 99.

Members online

Latest posts