Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 National Day One Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Day one of this years National has ended.

My trip west was a smooth one, not much to report, trains were on time, Amtrak was crowded, but comfortable and dint seem all that bad. I will use them again. I enjoyed my view of America as I rolled on down the tracks.

Got to the hotel and checked in, no problem. Then I was time to check to see what was around here as far as grocery stores go. Well, that was a big big "fail". They don't seem to have any of those around here. They have a CVS, a 7-11 and a knock off 7-11 that refuses to use plastic bags. WTF? right? lol

Well after checking out all three stores, i found that the knock off was the only one sellling diet cherry pepsi. So that was the "winner". I picked up 6 20oz' and headed back to the hotel room to put. them intense fridge. As I was walking back, I got some strange looks, as I'm guessing it looked liked I was carrying a six-pack of beer (the sodas were in a large paper bag) on a Wednesday afternoon lol

Then it was time to head to the show to pick up my VIP bage and promo package.

On the way there I ran into a twitter fella I knew and we hung out until the doors opened. The doors opened at 3:30 and it was time to "enjoy the show"

First place I went to was the Topps booth. I wanted to sign up for tomorrows panel. Well, the line for the promo giveaways was HUGE! I just wanted to sign up, didn't want to rip for promos. Eventually they got a list together, I signed up, and was on my way.

Next stop was BBCE. Made my first pickup of the show, a PSA 3.5 Wilhelm RC (NICE!). Then of course, chewed the fat with those fine fellas. Then it was time to start walking the floor.

Wow, it sure is easy to forget how MASSIVE this show is. Sheer volume is not one that can be put to words. Wow. I will admit to feeling a little overwhelmed, punch drunk even. I. Stood there for a Knute, and took it all in. Then it was the to get to business.

As a self admitted slab head, its easier for me to get through it all then those that are raw fans. That being said, it still took me a couple of hours to give all the tables a once over. There seem to be less slab sellers this year then I remembered there being last year. Maybe it's just me.

Through it all, I was only able to make one more purchase today, a PSA 3 George Kell Leaf RC. Happy to have it, price was decent.

That pickup has my PSA Post War HOF RC want list down to five.

Overall today was a good day at the show. Not Great, but good. There are going to be a lot more people showing up tomorrow, and it will add to the enjoyment to get to see them again.

I hope to add some pickups as well. Thinking about another Focus ... yea, cause you know I don't have ENOUGH of those, eh? lol

Until next time,
Eric
ThoseBackPages

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If anyone taking amtrak was delayed for an hour, sorry, it was my train which caused it.

They had to change engines.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the report Eric. Keep us posted as best you can and have fun!

Members online

Latest posts