Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dylan Bundy defies physics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Eh, great looking pitch but this is professional baseball. That's what Major League pitching looks like.

No it's not what MLB pitching looks like. Not every player can throw that pitch, and it's still a wow pitch so don't discredit that. You must not have a lot into him otherwise we'd be hearing how great he is like Streiby or Porcello

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
No it's not what MLB pitching looks like. Not every player can throw that pitch, and it's still a wow pitch so don't discredit that. You must not have a lot into him otherwise we'd be hearing how great he is like Streiby or Porcello

And you must not know much about baseball if you're pitching a tent over that video.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Please stop picturing me in your head pitching a tent. All I said is it's a wow pitch so please

high_horse.jpg
[/IMG]

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Someone has a gif in their signature that does the samething to Alexi Ramierz of the whitesox. It buckles his knees thinking it will hit him but really it does not come anywhere near him. it just looks that way though. I know not really the same but you get the idea
tom-wilhelmson.gif

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
And you must not know much about baseball if you're pitching a tent over that video.

Can you name 10 pitchers in MLB that can throw that pitch as well as that? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'm just curious if you have any specific pitchers in mind that can throw a pitch like that.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I defy you to show me a better curve than that. That example is a pure 80 on the scouting scale and yes, that deserves a wow. Just like a Chapman fastball at 100+ deserves a wow. If you can't say wow at something that is the best example you will see, than why even watch the game if you're that jaded? And if all major league breaking stuff looked that way, batting averages would drop significantly.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
You come to the conclusion that his curveball is an 80 after one pitch of a youtube video?

I've seen a number of scouting reports on Bundy and all have his curveball in the 45-60 range, most of them saying it projects to be 55-65 in the future. Am I missing one? 50 is average on the 20-80 scale, so 45-60 puts him somewhere between "below average" and "above average." I'm not hating on Bundy and give him credit because that's a great pitch, but that's what quality Major League pitching looks like. When you put that curveball with a solid changeup and his mid-upper 90s fastball and Bundy has the total package that makes him a top prospect.

Without looking at anything, here are some guys who come to mind off the top of my head: Wandy Rodriguez, Adam Wainwright, Justin Verlander, Craig Kimbrel, Roy Halladay, Doug Fister, Clayton Kershaw. Although probably 25%-50% of Major League pitchers have a curveball that looks pretty similar to Bundy's from that camera angle.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
First of all, I said that example was an 80 which is a lot different than being consistently an 80. Second, two scouting reports I respect (below) peg his curve as potentially grading at better than a 60 either now or down the road. Callis says it could be argued his curve is better than his fastball and considering his fastball grades at a 70-80 in every report I've seen, my observation is not out of line. The scary thing is several scouts believe his cutter is his best pitch and the O's aren't letting him throw it this year so he can focus on gaining consistency with his offspeed stuff.

I have faced, thrown, and watched thousands of curveballs in my life and they don't get materially better than that. That particular pitch is in the same league as the Kershaws, Verlanders, Blylevens, etc. Whether he can throw it with the consistency those guys can or could is the million dollar question.

Callis provided this scouting report on Bundy.
"He's a 92-95 (mph) guy that touches 98 and maybe flashes triple digits every once in a while. His hammer curveball, you could argue might be better than his fastball. He's got a cutter that really at times is almost like a 92 mile per hour slider. He has an advanced feel for a changeup with a very clean delivery," Callis added.

From Fangraphs:

Bundy only threw a handful of curveballs and didn’t have consistent feel for it, leaving it up and not quite finishing it completely. It’s a true 12-to-6 hammer with depth and late bite that flashed plus potential at 76-78 mph. I didn’t get a great look at his curve in this game and there may be better than a 60 pitch here as the tight spin and late bend were impressive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts