Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My One-Day National Trip Recap! (Long read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Is it so wrong to be excited for a month to attend this? Well, I was! I saved up and was ready to just go and spend it all.

It was more convenient and cost efficient for me to take the bus down (and the extra $$ I save, I can use towards cards!), so I took the Bolt bus down for like $38 round trip...what a deal! They had spotty wifi on board but wifi nonetheless! The only thing with these is that they were late both ways so if you need to be some place on time, this is NOT the bus to go with.

Ok, got there but the cab dropped me off on the WRONG SIDE of the convention center so I had to walk a bit to get to the entrance.

Got in the door and WOW. I actually looked like an idiot with my mouth wide open standing at the entrance because I've NEVER seen anything like this before. The shows in NY are nice but this one just blows it away 100x!

So, first thing I did was drop off my BGS sub for "head of line" treatment. Which I don't mind paying the $50 since I figured that into my budget. I then walked around and figured I would go row by row until I get to the back. Did some dumpster diving (which is my favorite thing to do at shows). Came up with some cool cards (info below).

My first observation, A LOT of vintage. I would say the vintage vs. modern split is about 60/40 towards vintage. I don't mind seeing them, it's just that I can't appreciate them as others would on T-206, high grade vintage etc.

Pros:
*It's HUGE
*A little something for everyone and every type of collector
* See dealers that you never see before

Cons:
*Since this was the first full day, many dealers were reluctant to negotiate or give better deals.
* The line for any pack redemption was big so I just passed on those
* Box prices were competitive with each other but no one was giving better deals than the other

I stopped by the FCB booth which was very busy and said hi to Evan and his $20 rows of graded cards of players that used to be big names in the prospect business like Justin O'Conner, Yeicok, Pomeranz etc. It's cool (or not) to see guys that I used to get $$$ on and now end up in the bargain bin! Also, I'm not sure who it was but he had $100 bills lined up in his showcase next to his Cam cards which was pretty cool!

Well, I came to spend right! Right, but I could not find anything that appealed to me both condition/price-wise so I passed on the big boys and did some dumpster diving:

Pickups at $2.50 each (bought from the same dealer):

Adeiny Hech...Ref auto
Brett Jackson ITG Auto
Robbie Grossman blue paper Auto
Javier Baez Chrome Auto! :)

Pickups at $3.00 each (bought from the same seller):

Robert Stephenson Sterling Ref Auto
Joe Panik Chrome Auto

Pickups at $595

1 Sealed Case of 2012 Leaf Best of Baseball (broken open at the Leaf booth and got BG bucks and picked 4 Ali Worn cards for free and sold them to a boxing dealer for $20 each so I ended at $595 for my case). Will post the break tonight in the box break board.

Overall, it was a great experience! If anyone on the east coast is on the fence, YOU GOTTA GO to this show! It's super!

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks guys! The BoB case was loaded...with current and past players (no prospects)! Boo! :(

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Time out - that's all you bought at the national!?! LOL I was looking forward to a read of a long list of cards you found. Are there bargains to be had? Doesn't sound like it (aside from the Baez you got for a giveaway price!). I'm heading down that way... next week :( too late!!!

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Time out - that's all you bought at the national!?! LOL I was looking forward to a read of a long list of cards you found. Are there bargains to be had? Doesn't sound like it (aside from the Baez you got for a giveaway price!). I'm heading down that way... next week :( too late!!!

Nah, I was hoping for a long list too but I just did not like the prices (even for some of the bargain bin ones) and I don't want to buy something just to buy something you know?

It's crazy that even trying to bargain was a pain! One dealer had a card marked as $100 and I asked "what's your best price?", he says for you, $99! I was waiting for him to burst out laughing and saying it was a joke, no, he was dead serious. I have no problems with dealers saying "thats the lowest I can go" etc., it's cool. But to just "play" games with buyers is just stupid!!

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Nah, I was hoping for a long list too but I just did not like the prices (even for some of the bargain bin ones) and I don't want to buy something just to buy something you know?

It's crazy that even trying to bargain was a pain! One dealer had a card marked as $100 and I asked "what's your best price?", he says for you, $99! I was waiting for him to burst out laughing and saying it was a joke, no, he was dead serious. I have no problems with dealers saying "thats the lowest I can go" etc., it's cool. But to just "play" games with buyers is just stupid!!

FWIW I have found you have a better time bargaining Saturday and Sunday as dealers start to want to make some money and not carry as much home. They don't really have as much reason to come down early in the show since someone may still come along and pay their price. Frustrating as a buyer, but just what I have noticed from my experience at the National.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
FWIW I have found you have a better time bargaining Saturday and Sunday as dealers start to want to make some money and not carry as much home. They don't really have as much reason to come down early in the show since someone may still come along and pay their price. Frustrating as a buyer, but just what I have noticed from my experience at the National.

Yeah, that's probably the reason. Thursday was the only day I could have gone.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
In going through my cards now, I forgot I also picked up an Ethan Martin Chrome Auto and a Blake Snell Chrome Ref Auto for $3.00 each!

Members online