Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Every day I think I've seen everything and then someone pulls a new trick...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I have a person buy 2 cards for $2. That's it, two small cards. I wait an entire week before opening a claim for non-pay bidder. I get another two offers from him two hours later after opening the claim and then a message that says:

"why would you open unpaid item dispute when I have offers out on other cards of yours? you got something against paying for them all at once or what?"

:lol:::facepalm::

Last edited:

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I think OPs point was that he offered on 2 more auctions after the NPB was opened and then used that as an excuse.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
agreed, if you just waited a week then opened a claim. i always message the buyer before opening a claim.

the buyer didn't make the offers until after the seller opened the claim. Some buyers are always working an angle.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
agreed, if you just waited a week then opened a claim. i always message the buyer before opening a claim.

Why do you owe the buyer a message before opening a claim? I think if they bid or buy it now then they shouldn't need a reminder to parry for it. The bank doesn't remind me to pay my car note.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't eBay send an automatic payment reminder two days after the auction has closed?

I'm with Eric - after a week, the OP doesn't owe his buyer a reminder. His buyer owes the OP some damn money.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Why do you owe the buyer a message before opening a claim? I think if they bid or buy it now then they shouldn't need a reminder to parry for it. The bank doesn't remind me to pay my car note.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

I dont owe them anything but i do it as a courtesy.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think that if the auction description specifies "Payment must be received within # days" then the seller doesn't owe the buyer any reminders and can go ahead and open a claim once the allowed window has closed. If there's no such period specified in the auction, things are a little less black-and-white and I think the seller should message the buyer before opening a claim. Poeple who buy a lot on eBay may set multiple snipes or get tons of eBay messages their inboxes and overlook an auction.

As for the buyer's actions described in the OP, to me he/she seems to be trying to pull something with his after-the-fact offers, thinking maybe he can argue the NPB claim by saying that you two still had outstanding offers and that's why he didn't pay. I would think that eBay would throw out that arguement after seeing when the offers were made.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Ya, I don't communicate with the buyer on non paying at all. To many times I've seen the buyer get a stick up their ass and drop a neg because the seller asked for a payment.

7 days/open a dispute. 7 more days/close dispute/relist

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Ya, I don't communicate with the buyer on non paying at all. To many times I've seen the buyer get a stick up their ass and drop a neg because the seller asked for a payment.

7 days/open a dispute. 7 more days/close dispute/relist

This is pretty much how I handle it. And if a buyer communicates with me, I'll allow them even more time. I just declined his new offers (even though they were fair) and we'll see if he pays.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Paid today. Will ship out today. Let's see if he decides to pull any tomfoolery over 2 cards for $2. I'm not sending with DC.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Carl: Patience is a virtue. I have a buyer that hasn't paid for an item since 7/29. I have not opened a case yet, I pm'd him asking to cancel the transaction if he wanted. No threats, no NPB. Buyer responded saying he still wanted the card, and I will give him a few more days.

It's not the end of the world, or do I need the cash ASAP. Is a couple of bucks going to break you?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Carl: Patience is a virtue. I have a buyer that hasn't paid for an item since 7/29. I have not opened a case yet, I pm'd him asking to cancel the transaction if he wanted. No threats, no NPB. Buyer responded saying he still wanted the card, and I will give him a few more days.

It's not the end of the world, or do I need the cash ASAP. Is a couple of bucks going to break you?

I appreciate the advice but it really isn't about the $2. I haven't threatened this person either (unless you count a NPB claim a threat - which I don't). I've only responded to him once out of his three messages to me and my response was simply an explanation of why I filed the claim. It was just the gimmick they tried to pull with the additional offers and the message that followed and it makes me wonder if they has something else up their sleeve. I've fully expected to lose the $2 and the cards, but they could surprise me.

Really wasn't trying to complain this time around (I deal with at least a dozen NPB a week) - it was more of a humorous anecdote.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
A guy the other day, 0 feedback bidder, made a $100 offer on a game I have up. I accepted it and waited. A few days later I sent an invoice which is my nice way of reminding them they have a transaction pending. Then the guy tells me he can't buy it because he lost a roommate and has to pay rent himself. Not a horrible situation but come on.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I don't play the waiting game anymore.
Four days after the auction ends I send NPB notices.
I've been burned too many times to deal with children.
If you don't plan on paying within 4 days the least you could do is email me to let me know when you can.
I have no problem waiting but not if there's no communication.
David.

Members online

Latest posts