Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Top 10 Possible September Prospect Callups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As we're only a few weeks from September, it's time to speculate which of the more notable prospects could get the call to assist their teams. Here is my top 10 in terms of probability.

1. Jurickson Profar. Until recently, I thought he'd remain at AA Frisco for the entire season, but with the recent promotion of Mike Olt, Texas is throwing caution to the wind, and I'll bet they will want to give him a taste, if only in a limited capacity. He's the top overall prospect in the minors, and fans will love him. Probability - 8/10.

2. Gerrit Cole. With the Bucs attempting to dethrone Cincy from 1st, I have a feeling we'll see a Price-like situation, meaning, he could help in the pen as middle relief. Has a great shot at making their rotation next year as well. Probability - 7/10.

3. Billy Hamilton. While most of his game isn't near Major League ready, his speed is game-changing, and Cincy could very well use him as a pinch-runner, both down the stretch and in the postseason. Probability - 7/10.

4. Nick Castellanos. Detroit is known for aggressively promoting their top prospects, and as they're fighting the Sox for first, his bat could play a role. Would most likely be a backup OF. Probability - 6/10.

5. Dylan Bundy. As with Olt/Profar earlier, I figured Bundy would remain at AA for the duration, but with Machado's callup, the O's are clearly not letting the grass grow under their feet when it comes to activating their assets. Bundy, like Cole, would be a valuable tool in their pen. Unlike Cole, however, I don't expect him to make a case for their rotation next year. Probability - 6/10.

6. Wil Myers. Unlike the top 5, KC clearly isn't going anywhere fast this year. That said, Myers has virtually nothing left to prove in Omaha, and fans want to see him asap (as evidenced by the ovations he received at the Futures Game). Probability - 6/10.

7. Martin Perez. He was sent back back down recently, after being used both as a SP and RP in Texas. He still has the best arsenal of pitches amongst their arms, and could easily come back up in either capacity, if needed. Probability - 5/10.

8. Tyler Skaggs. While it's debatable if he's the better arm when compared to Bauer, he's had a consistently great season. I could see AZ using him in a Jarrod Parker 2011 role down the stretch. Probability - 5/10.

9. Oscar Taveras. There's been increasing amounts of chatter about him helping in STL next month, although his lack of experience in the upper minors could hurt his case. His bat will play in the Majors eventually, if not this year, then next. Probability - 4/10.

10. Matt Davidson. My dark horse pick. He's been quietly having a very impressive year (particularly his power), he plays well at 3B, and I'd love to see him get his first cup of coffee next month if AZ is still in the race. Probability - 3.5/10.

Last edited:

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Solid list, JP. Myers and Skaggs have a better chance than Profar, IMO. Perez will certainly be back once rosters expand.

No Hultzen?

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
He's had mixed results at Tacoma. I have a feeling he won't be rushed. Probably early next year.

You might be right, man. With a rotation that includes Iwakuma, Beavan, and Milwood it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the 40 min trip north the next time one of them falters. On the other hand, he could be wearing down from the rigors of his first pro season.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Was doubtful Profar would get a callup but recent Ranger roster changes make me think he will get a callup before August is over.
Perez may make it up again but they are keeping him stretched out at AAA for the time being.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts