Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ted Simmons and his 1972 contract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I read today that, 40 years ago, Ted Simmons finally signed his contract for that season. He played 2/3 of the season WITHOUT a contract! Think anyone today would do that?

He had refused to sign the contract the Cardinals offered him at the beginning of the year, so he decided to play without one until it was worked out. He ended up making the All Star team, and setting the records for HRs and RBIs in a season by a Cardinals' catcher.

He is one of the most talked about players in the "Best player not in the HOF" discussions, but he didn't even receive 5% of the vote on his first ballot (1994), and was dropped. A switch hitting catcher with a .285 career BA, 2472 hits, and the most HRs by a NL switch-hitter (since broken) will do that for a guy. His 2472 hits and 483 doubles were the MLB records for a catcher before they were broken by Ivan Rodriguez, and his 1389 RBIs are still 2nd all time.

Through his age 30 season, Simmons batted .298 with 172 HRs and 929 RBIs and a 127 OPS+, with five 20 HR seasons and six 90 RBI seasons.
Joe Mauer, 29 this year, is batting .323 with 91 HRs and 558 RBIs and a 134 OPS+, with only one 20 HR season and one 90 RBI season.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
He was under the reserve clause, so the Cardinals still had his rights. He couldn't have played for another team unless they traded him or just released him.

This was actually one step in helping end the reserve clause.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I never understood how Simmons, Messersmith, etc. played without a contract. I mean, wouldn't you have to be signed up to walk on the field? I would think there's a rule about that, or something.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
I never understood how Simmons, Messersmith, etc. played without a contract. I mean, wouldn't you have to be signed up to walk on the field? I would think there's a rule about that, or something.
Read up on the reserve clause. The team still owned the player's rights. If the player didn't sign a contract, they could either just not play or play without a contract. But if they didn't play, they couldn't go to another team unless their current team released them.

Last edited:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Read up on the reserve clause. The team still owned the player's rights. If the player didn't sign a contract, they could either just not play or play without a contract. But if they didn't play, they couldn't go to another team unless their current team released them.

The good old days when players had loyalty to their teams!

Even if it was forced upon them....

Members online

Latest posts