Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Received an email from eBay - What a joke!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Deleted original post.

Let me clarify what I did and this may help you all out. I know I was wrong to ding DSR's now for what I thought was high shipping, but the email I received was sent to a large number of people and I didn't excessively leave low DSR's. There were a lot of factors included in it. For example, if someone charged me $3 and sent the card in a white envelope or if the price on the label was a lot lower than what I paid, they got a lower DSR. I know from my experience in selling that when a package weighs 3 ounces it only costs $1.65 plus the cost of a bubble mailer, sleeve, holder should have came out to just around $2.00 or slightly above. If I was charged $3+ for something like the example I just gave, then I gave them a lower DSR. It was a mistake on my part as people here showed me that there are various costs all over the country not only with shipping, but in supplies. I am not sure what ebay considers excessive, but if I have to recall, I perhaps only gave lower DSR's on about 30 auctions won out of the hundreds I have won this year. I should have clarified this at the beginning, but for some reason I thought I had a better reputation on this site where people were going to jump all over me and assume certain things. Also as pointed out before, this was not for combined auctions, it was for single card auctions only. I was wrong and as stated before, if I had never posted this to begin with, I would still be upset at ebay and the sellers for in my mind I thought was overcharging and using a system that was given to me to rate shipping charges.

I originally thought this is what ebay wanted us to do. Only charge for what it cost us to ship which is why they put the DSR's in place. So I lowered my shipping down to exactly what it costs me, in fact, I settled on an even number before it does cost me slightly less than $2, it comes out to about $1.89 or something. I have been selling on ebay since it first came out (had a few different names along the way) and I remember going to the post office and how much they would charge. Then came along paypal shipping and there is a huge cost savings. I figured anyone that has a history of selling sports cards would be using this type of service and saving themselves a lot of money. This was a bad assumption on my part.

I know that some of my replies were done out of anger of everyone saying I am an a-hole etc. so I explained very vaguely how and why I was dinging the DSR's, but again there were factors in my decisions and it wasn't like I was dinging people for $3+ shipping for every single person. I had contacted sellers asking them why shipping was so high when I received the packages or if they just tossed the card in a penny sleeve with no holder or didn't use tape or a team bag to ensure the card would not slip out. Some people replied, most didn't. Those that didn't got the dings. Again, I should have clarified this all at the beginning, but I didn't and was wrong to assume that people here would understand.

I consider myself fairly open minded and a somewhat savvy sellyer and in mind I never believed in overcharging sellers on shipping, I just didn't think it was good business practice. But the problem was is that I thought it cost EVERYONE the same amount as it does for me when I ship cards out. I was clearly wrong and now I know how to proceed from this moment forward. I am not trying to gain respect back from those people that blocked me, it is their choice and I don't blame them for being upset especially after seeing the numerous posts in this thread. I know if the tables were turned and it did cost me more than what I was actually charging for shipping then I would also be one of the haters among you all as well.

My original argument was meant as there was a feedback system in place and I thought it was placed there for us to use it. My eyes are now open and I will now only bid on what I think is an acceptable shipping price or have it built into the total price and go from there. If what I consider is excessive shipping, I will no longer bid on the card. I guess I thought that if I were to give someone a lower DSR on what I thought was excessive shipping costs, they would adjust it for the future. I sure as heck did not start out with 5 stars for shipping when the DSR's were put in place. In fact, I had received several warnings from ebay that my ratings were at the warning level so I adjusted my shipping costs to only charge what it actually cost me. Now I have 5 stars in all of my columns because of this change. I just expected everyone else to do so as well. I was wrong, I admit it and it's time to just move on.

Last edited:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
If eBay does not agree, then they need to remove the DSR's and then come back with being able to leave negatives for non-paying bidders.

The question I have; is there any way to contact ebay to discuss my case? I mean, a person that will actually take it into consideration and just not get a mindless minimum wage customer service rep or an automated email response?

No, there isnt a way. You lost your privilege, they think you abused the system. They are not going to be like "Oh you did it cause you feel shipping is high? Then lets remove this". They are going to say if you felt it was to high you shouldn't have bid, reported the seller or asked them for a partial refund. My cousin had the same thing over a month ago and they basically laughed him off the phone saying in 6 months he will get it back.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
No, there isnt a way. You lost your privilege, they think you abused the system. They are not going to be like "Oh you did it cause you feel shipping is high? Then lets remove this". They are going to say if you felt it was to high you shouldn't have bid, reported the seller or asked them for a partial refund. My cousin had the same thing over a month ago and they basically laughed him off the phone saying in 6 months he will get it back.

Thanks for the response. Sigh. Ok, I will just use better judgement now with buying on ebay and just find alternative sites to buy and sell. I just don't understand the business sense from eBay. Has greed really taken over common sense?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the response. Sigh. Ok, I will just use better judgement now with buying on ebay and just find alternative sites to buy and sell. I just don't understand the business sense from eBay. Has greed really taken over common sense?

I mean you can try of course, but honestly I have a feeling they wont do crap as always. You would be sitting on the phone for hours with no real resolution, I have a feeling that would make things worse.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've never heard of them giving a crap when people call to complain about this. Ding 3 or 4 sellers in a couple of weeks and it triggers this auto status sometimes.

As for alternative sites for selling, I'm going to pimp eCrater.com again. Free to list, free to sell, the only fees are the ones PayPal or Google Checkout would take out like normal.

I keep hoping more people will jump on the wagon...I haven't sold tons there (mostly due to low traffic, but also because I list some cards at high prices that I never intend to sell unless those prices are met), but when I do sell, it's typically for a good price and nothing but positive transactions so far.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I've never heard of them giving a crap when people call to complain about this. Ding 3 or 4 sellers in a couple of weeks and it triggers this auto status sometimes.

I am not saying giving him crap, I am saying that he could sit on the phone for 2 hours and still be in the same place when done wasting his time.

WaxPax

Honestly, I think you are a bit unreasonable in your logic about "Dinging" Shipping DSR's at $3.00 + , so I blocked you....

Received the following email from ebay.

To keep eBay a fair and safe marketplace for all members, we routinely review buying and selling activity. In reviewing your account, we found:

A pattern of leaving neutral or negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (1s & 2s) for competitive sellers that suggest that the low ratings were left to disrupt such sellers. -- A pattern of leaving neutral or negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings (1's & 2's) for competitive sellers that suggest that the low ratings were left to disrupt such sellers.

Because of this behavior, we've removed from related seller profiles any neutral or negative Feedback, and any low detailed seller ratings left by you within the past year. Please be aware that if this activity continues, you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limitations on your buying and selling privileges, and suspension of your account.

Now time for me to chime in. The idea of having the DSR's in place for sellers is so we as buyers can leave appropriate DSR ratings. For the record, I have not left any neutral or negative feedback, but I have dinged the DSR's on shipping from time to time, there is no pattern, that is BS. Now I know some of you will argue the fact that if the seller's shipping price is too high, don't bid. If the DSR's were not in place to rectify this problem, then I would not bid, but considering the point of being able to rate sellers on their selling performance I feel I have every right to rate the DSR as I see fit. Being a seller, I know to keep my shipping costs down and I have 5's on all of my DSR's. So once again, ebay does not stick to their guns with their rules and regulations. In no shape or form should they be removing any of my low DSR's I placed for excessive shipping. What they should be doing is contacting the seller and request that they reduce their excessive shipping costs or they will possibly be suspended.

Just in case anyone is curious, I only ding shipping DSR when it is $3.00 and above. I should set it at $2.50 and above, but I know not everyone uses paypal/ebay shipping and know they can save on costs. It doesn't bother me if you don't agree with this, but the DSR's are in place for this reason. If eBay does not agree, then they need to remove the DSR's and then come back with being able to leave negatives for non-paying bidders.

The question I have; is there any way to contact ebay to discuss my case? I mean, a person that will actually take it into consideration and just not get a mindless minimum wage customer service rep or an automated email response?

ballcardzdotcom

Aug 13, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

eBay and business sense? Now those are two that don't go together anymore. The only reason they are able to do that is that they don't have legit competition and there's no reason to cater to your customers. Sorry you're getting punished for being honest about your experiences.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Do you give a low feedback score if shipping is more than $3 on a single item, of if combined shipping on multiple purchases is over $3? I think the first is defensible, while the second wouldn't be.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
So a casual seller that does not use ebay as a way to supplement a living is subject to your $2.50-3.00 shipping cost rule?

$1.64 - sent for 3oz minimum with DC from Paypal shipping
$0.79 - bubble envelope
$0.22 - top loader and sleeve, team bag
-------
$2.65

Even using Paypal to ship there are other costs that make up shipping - granted not much. Your statement is presumptuous that all sellers are using the same methods that you are, and if not then they are subjected to harm of their ratings. Knowing that you are going to ding ratings, you still purchase items with shipping costs that exceed your own opinions, regardless if the cost is reflective of the seller's actual cost or not. That is just an as-hole thing to do.

Thank you for the warning - I blocked you also.

Last edited:

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
So a casual seller that does not use ebay as a way to supplement a living is subject to your $2.50-3.00 shipping cost rule?

$1.69 - sent for 3oz minimum with DC from Paypal shipping
$0.79 - bubble envelope
$0.22 - top loader and sleeve
-------
$2.70

Even using Paypal to ship there are other costs that make up shipping - granted not much. Your statement is presumptuous that all sellers are using the same methods that you are, and if not then they are subjected to harm of their ratings. Knowing that you are going to ding ratings, you still purchase items with shipping costs that exceed your own opinions, regardless if the cost is reflective of the seller's actual cost or not. That is just an as-hole thing to do.

Plus there are fees that eBay now charges on the shipping cost as well.

Honestly, I think you are a bit unreasonable in your logic about "Dinging" Shipping DSR's at $3.00 + , so I blocked you....

Same.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
There's no way to get an intelligent person at eBay customer service that will assist you.

I had a non feedback/account related issue -- I changed email addresses and my auctions were still directing payment to my old email address, even though I changed it with eBay and Paypal.

Called ebay, they said my new auctions would reflect it. New auctions closed, ayments still went to the old email address.

Completely clueless.

I found the error - my Turbo Lister had the old email address... but they're completely clueless and unprofessional. And unamerican.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

$0.79 - bubble envelope
-------
$2.65

Also, you can CLEARLY read the shipping cost before you purchase.

Oh $5 shipping, I'll just buy it and ding his DSR's

sunojorel

Oct 5, 2010
GAP, PA

$0.79 - bubble envelope
-------
$2.65

I actually ship with top load team bag etc, but i put the card in a single bubble mailer and it it's a sensitive item or something I sold for over $20 then that one in a larger bubble mailer and my shipping is $3.00 on most items, ofc combining is available.

IMO $3 is not unreasonable but right about my cost of sending one single item out to a customer. I think it is unreasonable to bang peoples feedback for charging you $3 they are not doing it to circumvent fees any longer because ebay charges them fvf on the shipping as well. As A buyer IMO you need to factor in the shipping charges with what you are willing to bid... it's that simple and that is how I approach every auction that I am bidding on.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah, I mean, if I leave a positive--which I have all but once or twice in my 13+ years on the 'bay--I leave 5-stars. I mean, not doing so is just feeding the machine that is eBay to create more restrictions, make more money, and stick the end users, both buyers and sellers in the long run. So I act like everything is hunky-dory and do my best to work issues out with sellers outside of the eBay system; even filing a claim flags the buyer and seller. If I deal with a seller who doesn't deserve a positive, but doesn't deserve a negative either, I just don't leave feedback.

The more we complain about eBay and its patrons to eBay, there more there is to complain about.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Where are you getting your bubble mailers?
Wow, that is a lot of $$ for a mailer. If you buy in bulk, you will pay between .11-.15 per.
I also call BS on your top loader price. I am willing to bet that 95% of sellers reuse top loaders. I know that I do.
I too think that $3.00 is excessive for one card. Generally I will not bid if the shipping is that high, mostly on principle.
If I do bid on something with a shipping charge of $3.00, that means I am getting a heck of a deal on the card and just grin and bear it. I have NEVER dinged anyone for shipping costs UNLESS I'm charged $2.00 or more and receive a PWE.

$0.79 - bubble envelope
-------
$2.65

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I was recently a part of a survey with eBay. It was explained to me that positive feedback should receive 4 and 5 star DSR neutral 3 DSR and a negative 1 to 2 star DSR.

It should like many people would rather hide behind DSR dings instead of posting true feedback. I agree, how can you leave a positive comment and rate someone 3 or lower.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I basically changed all of my shipping methods to take the vote out of the buyer's hands on the DSR's as much as I can. I ship within the allotted time, add tracking to every package, and ship free of charge. Costly, yes, but so are the negative DSR ratings.

Members online