Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you accept money orders on ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
Just curious as to what yall's thoughts were on allowing buyers to pay with money orders on ebay. I've never done it before, but I've had a couple of people message me recentley asking me if they could pay that way. What are the pluses and minuses of allowing payment by money order, and do you recommend it? Or does it really not make a difference at all?

TopOffLikeWALLACE

Feb 11, 2010
HouStros
Yes, it's only risky as a buyer.

Only time I've been scammed on ebay is when I had to pay by money order.

As a seller, you also save the 3% ebay fees.

So take the money order.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Yes, just make sure they are US Postal MO. If its easy for you to get to PO to cash, even better. Never had a problem that way.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
i had an issue as a buyer. i bought a $600 card years ago and the seller only accepted money orders. guy never shipped or replied to my messages. so i used my "resources" looked his ass up (he only lived two hours from me) called him and called him out on his scam attempt (very low feedback, 6 maybe). he hung up on me and and refused to answer my calls after that. so i left him a voicemail stating that i was getting the authorities involved and that if i had to i would be showing up at his front door for either my card or my money. about a week later my money showed up in the mail. i was ready to kick in some doors. lol

it was an 89 UD BGS 10 Griffey RC btw, still wish i had gotten the card instead of my money back. doubt he ever even had the card.

oh but to answer your question if a buyer asks if he can i say yes as long as its a postal money order.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
You can accept Money Orders thru EBAY. They just won't let us as a seller advertise as such due to paypal..

Try and get them to use the USPS money orders..

If you ever send a money order thru the USPS mail, and you don't get the item, it's mail fraud and you can file a claim thru the US Postal Inspector..

I've had to do that a couple of times, and low and behold I got the item I paid for..

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would imagine 9 of 10 are legit. But there are fake money orders and cashiers checks floating around from every bank in town and even USPS money orders.
I had someone offer to buy a Mike Trout etopps card i have up for auction with a Wells Fargo money order but i turned him down, I am sure it is fine but I don't want to deal with it not being ok.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I have about 5 or 6 good customers that only send check or money orders to me and they keep buying from me because of that ebay rule about "no money orders".
So because of that rule, ebay lost out on a few customers...

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
When eBay went Paypal only I stopped buying so much because I can only pay by MOs (Paypal acct is frozen)

As a seller you have nothing to worry about, just wait to ship until you cash them and you are good to go. For my sake, please accept MOs. :) As a buyer I have only been screwed once by sending a MO (Seller never sent card, but I had no way of proving it got there so what are you gonna do? Was only $30, but if it was $150+ I might send with confirmation)

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
For me in Canada it's easiest to use PayPal for buying and selling. I only bid on items that accept PayPal and haven't missed out on anything I've really wanted because of it. I like that you have a record of the transaction when you use PayPal, plus once you start needing to convert currencies the fees for MO's are prohibitive.

Also you don't get eBay bucks if you don't use PayPal.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't advertise that I do. The only time I accept them is if the buyer contacts me and asks if they can send one.

Cardshopmd

Aug 6, 2012
Dundalk Maryland 21222
I refuse to take Check's or Money orders Its takes way to long to get paid and your buyers ding the heck out of your DSRS on ebay because it takes up to 2 weeks to get them the card . I only do paypal now this way i can print the postage and hand it off to my wife to drop off in the Main post office and my buyers get their items with in 1- 3 days since her company is a mailing firm her mail goes to a sorting center and is taken directly to that post office the package needs to mail from works great for me

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Ill take a MO any day. I just let the buyer know that Ill have to wait 5 days til it clears my bank.

Members online

Latest posts