Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how to rationalize a big purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I listed a bunch of stuff on ebay last night and my birthday is coming up and I tend to treat myself to something baseball card related, but I don't know if this is enough to get me to buy something expensive any time soon. I have no clue if I'll be able to convince myself to spend too much.

So my question for you guys is... how do you do it?

Cardshopmd

Aug 6, 2012
Dundalk Maryland 21222
well for me its what can i resell the item for . If i am buying a large collection or a store's inventory its baised on a few things
1) what can i re-sell in the store or inventory Quick
2) how long will it take to get my money back
3) what is the est cost to list the stuff on ebay
4) how long will it take to flip it
5) how much stuff is just total un sellable junk

I guess it realy would depend on if the stuff is for your collection or if its for resale before u realy get can the answer your looking for

Now for Me I collect Major Indoor Soccer League Bobble Heads & Authentic Baltimore Blast Game Used Jerseys so it is based on who the player is and how bad I want to own it I own one of my favorite Players All star Game jersey , And his League MVP Trophy that i bought from him to start his charity and to be honest with you I would have paid a lot more then he wanted just to have those items in my PC

I don't have any other vices except video games. I justify it against my wife's smoking. This is healthier, lasts longer, and I can enjoy with my kids. If its more difficult than usual I break it down against wax.. What would it cost me to pull the card from packs. That always wins.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
There have been times in the past where there was a "big ticket" item for sale and I passed because it was too expensive, then regretted it, and have not seen the item since. Then there was an instance I had an opportunity to purchase an expensive card, not purchase and it comes up years and years later and then I "REALLY" can't afford it... I look at those instances and justify that I'll never see the item again and/or it will just keep going up in price, which it typically does in my examples.

What are you considering purchasing?

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
There have been times in the past where there was a "big ticket" item for sale and I passed because it was too expensive, then regretted it, and have not seen the item since. Then there was an instance I had an opportunity to purchase an expensive card, not purchase and it comes up years and years later and then I "REALLY" can't afford it... I look at those instances and justify that I'll never see the item again and/or it will just keep going up in price, which it typically does in my examples.

What are you considering purchasing?

I really don't have anything in mind right now, but I want to pull the trigger when the "big ticket" item comes up this time.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I really don't have anything in mind right now, but I want to pull the trigger when the "big ticket" item comes up this time.

Well... Then start saving and have the money available when the purchase comes up. What's far worse, from personal experience, is having that "big ticket" item come up and not have the money for it. THEN it's difficult to think of ways to try to get the money for it...(also a bit more difficult to justify).

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I have been thinking about the same thing. I am usually frugal when it comes to myself. I talked myself into a breitling watch for my milestone birthday next year. It helps that a friend can get it wholesale and save me a few k. Justify it however makes you feel better.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
If it is under $100, I would justify it by I would most likely not pull something nicer than this from a box. This card is worth the price of a box, etc.

More than $100, never really spent that much, so no help. I think it is about my limit in justification

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I justify a big purchase by reminding myself I work very hard at my job to provide for wife and three kids, home, cars, all kinds of insurance, tons of bills, investments, etc. so I deserve to have fun with my collection.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Well... Then start saving and have the money available when the purchase comes up. What's far worse, from personal experience, is having that "big ticket" item come up and not have the money for it. THEN it's difficult to think of ways to try to get the money for it...(also a bit more difficult to justify).

Yeah, I missed out on my dream item a few weeks ago so that's why I'm listing stuff now in case I find anything else. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Members online

Latest posts