Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone Want BG to Resurrect "Exclusive" Contracts?

Bring Back Exclusive Auto Contracts?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
4 years after Razor's birth, Chrome is still king, as far as prospect products go. I'm most likely in the minority, but as long as BG keeps the print runs down, I still think the idea was a sound one.

And I'm not just referring to prospect stuff - the idea plays for every type of Leaf product.

Vote above.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Are you talking about exclusive contracts with old retired stars/legends or recently drafted players ala Tim Beckham or Matt Wieters?

Both. The more exclusive contracts, the more other companies will have to compete with him.

24twins31

Aug 13, 2012
Sure, then when the Leaf contract expires it will make their first real autograph cards that much more valuable.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Exclusives just piss collectors & dealers off.

And no XXXXing way exclusives in prospects. It bombed w razor & would happen again.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
And no XXXXing way exclusives in prospects. It bombed w razor & would happen again.

Not for me it didn't. Made a much nicer profit with the exclusives than I did for the non-exclusives. And I believe, had BG refrained from releasing Metal via eBay, they would have been more popular.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Please god no.

I will say it was terribly exciting back in 2008 when we saw that web page populate one by one as Razor signed draft picks, but it stunk to have to wait so long to get other brands' versions of a player.

Also, the exclusive contract almost incentivises Razor / Leaf to crank out as many versions of that same player in as many varieties as they can, WHILE they can.

In retrospect, 2008 Bowman draft was OUTSTANDING even with all the players they couldnt sign due to Razor's presence. The additions of Montero, Stanton, along with non exclusives that hit big like Posey, Beckham, and others made that set a winner anyway.

Overall, i'd say that exclusives do not benefit the collector. I like variety, and i like brand history. If this was the 5th year in a row of Razor, with Razor Metal as a parallel, and we knew what we'd get each year with a few tweaks, i think we'd all have enjoyed it. Lets get some Brand history for new Leaf, and i'm sure folks will get behind it.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I generally am NOT in favor of exclusives...

HOWEVER, Topps has not refrained from exclusives whether it be Stras, Harper or Darvish..

If they keep up this trend, I am saddened to say that I bet Panini and I follow..

I will say that IF we ever do sign an exclusive, it will be (most probably) a single extraordinary talent..

BG

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I dont see a problem with it as long as MLB opens up the license gates. I think the three legit companies have proven that they are worthy of creating a quality product. I'm still trying to understand how Topps hasn't been sued as a monopoly. But hey, I'm not a lawyer like Starr Jones or Bob Loblaw.

Members online

Latest posts