Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One sorry Lawrie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If you thought Bryce was getting lazy, check this out. In a matter of months Lawrie's sig has gone from this:

lawriechrome.jpg

to this:

$T2eC16J,!ysE9sy0h(dGBQNDvkobEw~~60_3.JPG

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
::facepalm:: Thats so sad.

I didnt expect him to keep that autograph up.... but the new version is just horrible.

The way I look at it. If they are cutting corners on their autograph...they most likely are cutting corners in their baseball career. Being lazy.... not giving 100%.... ho hum attitude. Hope that doesnt translate to the field.... but so far both are struggling....might be something to it.

Another example... Jason Heyward.

Last edited:

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The way I look at it. If they are cutting corners on their autograph...they most likely are cutting corners in their baseball career. Being lazy.... not giving 100%.... ho hum attitude. Hope that doesnt translate to the field.... but so far both are struggling....might be something to it.

Was with you all the way until the cutting corners. In terms of baseball, there is no evidence of either "being lazy". I don't think anyone who watches Lawrie play would question his effort level.

And I completely disagree that Heyward is struggling. If you said struggling against lefties, you may have something. The stats, however, suggest he's a young star:

.317/.400/.595 vs RHP
.366 wOBA
132 wRC+
5.7 WAR

A .917 OPS in August says he's not struggling recently, either.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Was with you all the way until the cutting corners. In terms of baseball, there is no evidence of either "being lazy". I don't think anyone who watches Lawrie play would question his effort level.

And I completely disagree that Heyward is struggling. If you said struggling against lefties, you may have something. The stats, however, suggest he's a young star:

.317/.400/.595 vs RHP
.366 wOBA
132 wRC+
5.7 WAR

A .917 OPS in August says he's not struggling recently, either.

Time will tell. For all 3 to change a nice autograph to something that we see today.... it shows they will cut corners. All 3 are young and if they do that with an autograph... will they do that with how they prepare for a game? Too soon to tell with Bryce and Brett. But Heyward is just an ok player right now... sure.. u take away Mark Reynolds Strike out numbers.... He'd be an All Star 3B. Or take away all of a pitchers losses... Im sure he'd be a HOF pitcher.... thing is.. you cant... so to take away Heywards .219 BA against lefties he is a pretty good player.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

I didnt expect him to keep that autograph up.... but the new version is just horrible.

LMAO....Lawrie, Harper, and Heyward might be three of the hardest-playing baseball players in the game. Do you even watch them play?

EDIT to add to your second post: Did you ever think they cut corners on their autographs so they have more time to work on their baseball game? What an absurd post to assume cutting corners on autographs = eventual cutting corners on how the play and prepare for the game.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think that many of the players are very idealistic when they first sign, and then after a couple of signings realize what they are in for. Once the sig slips and it's not the signature they signed all their life, there's nothing to stop it from continuing to slip. (I've actually seen that happen myself with signing checks and the like. Once it's not "my signature" it's a total mess.) At that point they adjust and it becomes a scribble.

Interestingly, it makes it so that the first year cards have another advantage over later cards; a nice full signature.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
LMAO....Lawrie, Harper, and Heyward might be three of the hardest-playing baseball players in the game. Do you even watch them play?

EDIT to add to your second post: Did you ever think they cut corners on their autographs so they have more time to work on their baseball game? What an absurd post to assume cutting corners on autographs = eventual cutting corners on how the play and prepare for the game.

Yeah, that was a hoot to read.

I just cant believe this is such a big deal and i guess it wouldnt make sense that when you're signing in the volumes these players do, you dont have to adjust so you dont spend your life signing stickers.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Time will tell. For all 3 to change a nice autograph to something that we see today.... it shows they will cut corners. All 3 are young and if they do that with an autograph... will they do that with how they prepare for a game? Too soon to tell with Bryce and Brett. But Heyward is just an ok player right now... sure.. u take away Mark Reynolds Strike out numbers.... He'd be an All Star 3B. Or take away all of a pitchers losses... Im sure he'd be a HOF pitcher.... thing is.. you cant... so to take away Heywards .219 BA against lefties he is a pretty good player.

I'll give it to you - you've got an argument. A very weak argument, but one nonetheless.

If Heyward could hit lefties he'd be a superstar. Even with his current deficiencies against lefties he still boasts the 6th best WAR in the game. Higher than Miggy, Cano, and Posey. Only Trout, Cutch, Wright, Braun, and Bourn have produced more on the field this year than Heyward.

Jan 15, 2009
I'll give it to you - you've got an argument. A very weak argument, but one nonetheless.

If Heyward could hit lefties he'd be a superstar. Even with his current deficiencies against lefties he still boasts the 6th best WAR in the game. Higher than Miggy, Cano, and Posey. Only Trout, Cutch, Wright, Braun, and Bourn have produced more on the field this year than Heyward.
Where did you get that?
1.Trout (LAA)8.6
2.McCutchen (PIT)6.0
3.Wright (NYM)5.6
Cano (NYY)5.6
5.Cabrera (DET)5.5
6.Bourn (ATL)5.2
7.Braun (MIL)4.9
Molina (STL)4.9
9.Posey (SFG)4.8
10.Cabrera (SFG)4.7

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC

Wow. This probably the worst post ever on here.

Brett Lawrie has been criticized for being TOO aggressive. Heyward had one bad play that was out of character. He hustles on every play and is very passionate about the game. Actually try watching these guys instead of looking ignorant. You couldn't be more wrong on him or Lawrie.

You should probably start a new account under a new name.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah, he struggles against lefties. But to blame that on him being lazy is a joke and not even close to the truth.

Sorry, can't get over how bad of a post that was.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Obviously lazy on the bases too.

"According to FanGraphs' baserunning stat, Heyward has been the best baserunner this season. And he isn't just the best -- he's the best by a mile. Heyward has a BsR rating of 6.2 this season, which is nearly two full points higher than the league's second-best runner. As we've all seen this season, scoring on doubles from first base or going first-to-third on a single is a piece of cake for No. 22."

Oops, and in the field. What a waste.

"
Then there's defense. Per the leading defensive metric in baseball, Defensive Runs Saved, Heyward ranks third amongst all outfielders since his rookie debut in terms of range and throwing ability. He is tied for the best in the National League alongside teammate Michael Bourn and Arizona's Chris Young."

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Obviously lazy on the bases too.

"According to FanGraphs' baserunning stat, Heyward has been the best baserunner this season. And he isn't just the best -- he's the best by a mile. Heyward has a BsR rating of 6.2 this season, which is nearly two full points higher than the league's second-best runner. As we've all seen this season, scoring on doubles from first base or going first-to-third on a single is a piece of cake for No. 22."

Oops, and in the field. What a waste.

"
Then there's defense. Per the leading defensive metric in baseball, Defensive Runs Saved, Heyward ranks third amongst all outfielders since his rookie debut in terms of range and throwing ability. He is tied for the best in the National League alongside teammate Michael Bourn and Arizona's Chris Young."

Yeesh... I think the point was made. The primary idea behind the post you are attacking is that people who cut corners in one place often end up cutting corners in others at some time in the future, an idea that certainly has precedent, and cannot be determined until down the road when we can assess what happens over the next few years. I know there was insinuation that the present struggles were related to that, but seriously, that was not the point of the post, and four responses is way more than enough...

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeesh... I think the point was made. The primary idea behind the post you are attacking is that people who cut corners in one place often end up cutting corners in others at some time in the future, an idea that certainly has precedent, and cannot be determined until down the road when we can assess what happens over the next few years. I know there was insinuation that the present struggles were related to that, but seriously, that was not the point of the post, and four responses is way more than enough...

lol that you think that a rushed autograph has any relation to production on the field. You are right up there with him.

I'll post as many replies as I want thanks.

Members online