Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "I can't decide when to move this card" thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
With the playoffs and awards time of year fast approaching, I'm having trouble deciding what to do with a few cards. One of the cards in question is a Jered Weaver Chrome autograph RC.

Im sure some of you are deciding what to do with player stashes as well, so we may as well have a thread for feedback.

Opinions and feedback appreciated.

Feel free to share whatever cards are giving you this dilemma as well.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Cool thread Dan! I would say for your Weaver to keep it until Cy Young voting or even the playoffs depending on how they do the last part of this season. Mine would have to be these...although with a certain dude on them I will most likely keep them unless it is for another King Felix need:

november191.jpg

FELIXTRIP1.jpg

FELIXTRIP2.jpg

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
If you have any thought of selling. SELL!!!!
We see guys all time collect some player, swear up and down it's PC life. Then two weeks later they are selling it off.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Cool thread Dan! I would say for your Weaver to keep it until Cy Young voting or even the playoffs depending on how they do the last part of this season. Mine would have to be these...although with a certain dude on them I will most likely keep them unless it is for another King Felix need:

november191.jpg

FELIXTRIP1.jpg

FELIXTRIP2.jpg
That third card looks familiar. If you parted with those I'd be shocked.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
We see guys all time collect some player, swear up and down it's PC life. Then two weeks later they are selling it off.
Not a question of whether they'll be sold, just which time of the year is best. I am leaning towards holding Weaver for the CY vote, but if he tosses a gem or something else great happens for them in the post season, I'd likely reconsider. I understand what you mean though;)

Last edited:

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
That third card looks familiar. If you parted with those I'd be shocked.

I meant to phrase...I would ONLY part for a needed King Felix :) The autos I picked up for a really good price...the triple auto in 2007 and the dual earlier this year. The patch would only go towards a 2005 UD Heroes purple triple patch /5 that has Webb/Felix/Verlander to finish the patch rainbow I am trying to do.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
i pulled a Strasburg 1st chrome refractor #/777 when it was new;
sold it on ebay for like $175, and the guy never paid -
after the case was over - they were selling less than $99
(dude cost me $50-75 i'll never see again).
Now i'm hoping he performs in Playoffs -
what's the BEST i'm hoping for?
Breaking $100 would be nice. Possible?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
i pulled a Strasburg 1st chrome refractor #/777 when it was new;
sold it on ebay for like $175, and the guy never paid -
after the case was over - they were selling less than $99
(dude cost me $50-75 i'll never see again).
Now i'm hoping he performs in Playoffs -
what's the BEST i'm hoping for?
Breaking $100 would be nice. Possible?
Doesn't he have about 30-40 more innings before the "shutdown?"

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, unfortunately Strasburg won't even sniff the playoffs. Sucks for him and collectors alike.
I'd be more upset if I was a fan/ticket holder. Your team has a realistic chance at a W.S. / doing well in playoffs and you're considering removing one of the biggest reasons why.

Last edited:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
What would your advice be on a Chris Sale Blue Ref auto from Topps Chrome?

A_Pharis

My favorites are the threads that start off "Oh my god, check out this HUGE pickup. It's so amazing, I love it!" Out of curiosity, you check eBay and it was listed the night before by the guy that started the topic.

A_Pharis

Oh, and to answer Dan's original question - if you have the urge to sell, then strike while the iron is hot. WHen it comes to playoffs, try to aim for the auction to end the day before the "biggest" game you anticipate being played or aim for right after it. The reason I say aim for before is because a lot of times pre-game hype can drive a price up - while game performance may negatively affect that price.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I have three high quality Frazier autos from 2007. He is scorching hot and his cards are hitting high levels. I love to wait until the playoffs, but I'm thinking next week all three will be listed.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've come to the conclusion that if you can't decide whether to sell or not, if you're making a profit, go ahead and sell. If I had in one pile all the money I've left on the table from selling to early compared to another pile with all the money I've left on the table from selling too late, or not at all, I can guarantee you that the former pile would be a pimple compared to the latter. I understand wanting to maximize by selling at the peak, but there are very few times when you can tell when that is. And if you can, chances are other people can too, and you'd have that much more competition. So if you find a good time to sell, like the playoff stretch run especially if he has a big game (pray for another no-hitter), you'll be fine. On ebay, where prices are predictable but there are always outliers, if you're comfortable with a median price, go for it and move on to the next thing.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Kinda surprised. Thought more people would say to wait until the Cy Young.

Anyone else have cards they are deciding the future of?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Kinda surprised. Thought more people would say to wait until the Cy Young.

Anyone else have cards they are deciding the future of?

Waiting for the awards season in November is a gamble. A lot of times there is too much football news for the baseball awards to make much more than a ripple. And then there are years like last year where it was a foregone conclusion that Verlander was winning the CY. This year could be different given that there could be some debate between Weaver, Price, Sale, Hernandez, and Verlander which brings the award in the news more.

Members online

Latest posts