Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many Red Sox players showed up for Pesky funeral?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Take a guess. Pesky a Red Sox Icon spent his entire life working with team and hanging around players ect. Funeral was Monday on off day for the team. Buses were at Fenway to take any team members to it.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
4 showed up

Ortiz, Salty, Buchholz and one other one I cant remember.

I dont see why players should be obligated to attend anyone's funeral if they dont want to

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Beckett had a tee time...
2012beckettrice-golfing1.jpg

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
4 showed up

Ortiz, Salty, Buchholz and one other one I cant remember.

I dont see why players should be obligated to attend anyone's funeral if they dont want to

They should not have to go. Most of them should have wanted to go. It is, frankly, very disappointing. Especially as nearly the entire 40 man roster was at the Beckett Bowl later in the day drinking and dancing. I guarantee you Pesky would have been there for them. Very telling of what the team has become...and this is coming from a life long fan.

From the Boston Herald:

But legendary dirt dog Trot Nixon was there and he gave an off-the-cuff eulogy for Johnny to the Herald that is bittersweet in light of the funeral snub. “I look back and it’s not just him being on the field and hitting ground balls, but how he carried himself and how much he cared for all the ballplayers, whether you were at the major league level or in the minor league level,” Nixon said. “Everybody that worked in the organization, from the highest level down to guys working in the clubhouse, he generally cared for everyone and loved the game of baseball. He was a fantastic ambassador. I loved Johnny.”

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The right answer is not enough. It shows what a joke this organization has become at this point. Anyone who loves the Red Sox and defends them right now looks like a fool. Say what you want but I will bet most of the Yankees would show up for Yogi Berra's funeral and that says a ton about how the two clubs are run.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
They should not have to go. Most of them should have wanted to go. It is, frankly, very disappointing. Especially as nearly the entire 40 man roster was at the Beckett Bowl later in the day drinking and dancing. I guarantee you Pesky would have been there for them. Very telling of what the team has become...and this is coming from a life long fan.

From the Boston Herald:

But legendary dirt dog Trot Nixon was there and he gave an off-the-cuff eulogy for Johnny to the Herald that is bittersweet in light of the funeral snub. “I look back and it’s not just him being on the field and hitting ground balls, but how he carried himself and how much he cared for all the ballplayers, whether you were at the major league level or in the minor league level,” Nixon said. “Everybody that worked in the organization, from the highest level down to guys working in the clubhouse, he generally cared for everyone and loved the game of baseball. He was a fantastic ambassador. I loved Johnny.”

Maybe they all didnt get along with Pesky (likely not, but you never know) or they had another reason not to go. A funeral is a very personal thing and admonishing them for not attending one is the lowest on their totem pole of problems. Some people do not like attending funerals for various reasons: I am definitely one of those people. Some people choose to grieve privately and that is each individuals own preference.

For me, not attending his funeral doesnt make them look like idiots or lesser people. Everything else that team does makes them look like idiots and lesser people.

What did Boston expect? Sign these big name overpaid prima donnas who show their true colors once the team can't produce.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Maybe they all didnt get along with Pesky (likely not, but you never know) or they had another reason not to go. A funeral is a very personal thing and admonishing them for not attending one is the lowest on their totem pole of problems. Some people do not like attending funerals for various reasons: I am definitely one of those people. Some people choose to grieve privately and that is each individuals own preference.

For me, not attending his funeral doesnt make them look like idiots or lesser people. Everything else that team does makes them look like idiots and lesser people.

What did Boston expect? Sign these big name overpaid prima donnas who show their true colors once the team can't produce.

Always hate this reasoning. The funeral is not about you and how you deal with it. Very selfish. The funeral is about the person who passed and showing respect for the family and the life. It means a lot to the family to see people show up and pay respect. No one likes going to them, but shows a lot of character of the guys who did show up.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm not surprised. This Red Sox team is a far cry from the 2003/2004 teams especially. Teams in which it seemed the players had an actual connection to the fans, team, organization, and the city. What we've got now is a bunch of underachieving selfish pricks. I think the only important thing to each one (with a few exceptions) is themselves. Thankfully I live about 15 minutes from the Nationals park and it's getting pretty exciting around here. It's a TEAM here, not a bunch of selfish individuals.

I could see if they didn't attend the funeral of Yaz or other living former Red Sox. But, it's Johnny Pesky. Screw them.

I'm a fanatic sox fan.. And I can't stand most of the team. I enjoy Papi, Pedroia, and Lester.. I literally cannot watch these guys.

Bobby V is horrid but the big time talent is lacking. It's like they went back to the late 80s going from power to powder by signing low level talent to mid level pay.

Carl Crawford should be ashamed of herself.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I wish they could demote all of the starters to AAA and play all kids. Let the "stars" remember what it's like to ride the bus to games and stay in cheap hotels each night, and be ok with it because you love the game.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm a fanatic sox fan.. And I can't stand most of the team. I enjoy Papi, Pedroia, and Lester.. I literally cannot watch these guys.

Bobby V is horrid but the big time talent is lacking. It's like they went back to the late 80s going from power to powder by signing low level talent to mid level pay.

Carl Crawford should be ashamed of herself.

Have to ask... what has Crawford done? Obviously his performance last season was not great, but he came back this year and played (albeit for a short period of time) through pain and performed at a high level. He's always been known as one of the hardest working guys in baseball and a professional all around.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Do I fault anyone for chosing to not attend the funeral? No...

Do I find it very sad that not more made the choice to go? Yes...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Always hate this reasoning. The funeral is not about you and how you deal with it. Very selfish. The funeral is about the person who passed and showing respect for the family and the life. It means a lot to the family to see people show up and pay respect. No one likes going to them, but shows a lot of character of the guys who did show up.

Just because you dont like the reasoning, that doesnt mean others agree with you.

I think if Pesky was a good friend and had an influence on them that they should have gone, personally. While I hate funerals, I still attend.

But baseball players are put on a field to win baseball games, not the hearts of their peers. If they dont wanna go, thats their own deal and people will and have made their voice heard about it

Members online