Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help.. 90 donruss aqueous

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
What? If you can find a sealed pack of 1990 Donruss Aqueous that would be news to me. These weren't issued in packs were they? They were some type of test issue that was backdoored, or somehow leaked into the secondary market.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I have my doubts about the packs on ebay. The front of the packs say 10 cards and the sample pack they opened contained 15 cards. Too much of a crap shoot for me to try.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
What? If you can find a sealed pack of 1990 Donruss Aqueous that would be news to me. These weren't issued in packs were they? They were some type of test issue that was backdoored, or somehow leaked into the secondary market.

According to legend, they were issued in packs, they just weren't released to the public in general distribution. The unopened boxes turned up at some card shop in the Mid West.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
According to legend, they were issued in packs, they just weren't released to the public in general distribution. The unopened boxes turned up at some card shop in the Mid West.

Interesting!! Would be pretty awesome to open a pack of these if they did exist. I wonder what a pack would sell for if it was 100% confirmed that they were real and not searched and re-sealed.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Email I had awhile back from Chandy, who was one of the original finders of the Aqueous Test cards:

"Hi---thanks for your note.....yes, I was one of the original purchaser of these cards....I think there was one other purchaser on the aqueous test cards somewhere in the Milwaukee area; while there may be another source for the blue/white cards, I haven't found it yet.....peculiar story how I came across this group; I sent this e-mail out several years ago and saved a copy....have copied it on here for you.....best wishes, Chandy

I bought them with ABSOLUTELY no idea what I was getting.......had a phone call one Saturday morning from a gentleman who explained that he was an ex-employee at Donruss (actually, packaging director). He told me that he had been given a few wax boxes when he left the company and wondered if we were buying....he explained that they were 1988-1992 product, and that there were 20 boxes, mostly 1990-1992 Donruss and Leaf along with a few 1988 Donruss........really exciting stuff......well, maybe not......

He mentioned one 1990 Leaf box, and I made him an offer on the group equal to the value of that one box, since everything else he listed was what I would call junk wax which I figured to be my profit on the deal.

At any rate, he arrived at my store just as I was leaving for my daughter's soccer game (I was team coach and had to be there).....we had agreed on a price, so my assistant paid him and he left (without any conversation with me at all).

When I returned to the store later that afternoon, my assistant had moved the boxes back to the back room. I took a quick look and noted that there were 3 boxes which were not regular Donruss boxes, but rather plain white cardboard boxes with a memo, something to the effect of "Donruss Canada", on the side.....at this point, I opened one of the boxes (in regular 1990 Donruss wrappers) and encountered a pack full of the "blue-white" cards from this ad......having been a collector of and fascinated by proofs, errors, and variations all my collecting career, I about went through the ceiling......but had no way to contact the person I bought them from for any information.

After looking at those, I started perusing all of the other boxes and discovered that the boxes of 1990 Donruss cellos I had purchased all had the "Aqueous Test" overprint on the backs of the cards inside (see some of my other ads).

As you can see, all of these cards came from packs....they weren't cut from sheets, although I'm sure that with these as with any card product, there was an uncut sheet at one time........my guess is that they were different ink tests, one for color, the other for water solubility, but I don't know anything more than you do in that area......"

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have my doubts about the packs on ebay. The front of the packs say 10 cards and the sample pack they opened contained 15 cards. Too much of a crap shoot for me to try.

I think they're 100% legit.

Also, if you read the auction, he says he opened 8 packs and was selling the other 8 complete. Those cards came from the 8 packs opened...hitting Mattingly and Puckett in the same pack would have been a gold mine.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
This was such an incredible find! - I would have loved to have been in on the bidding on one of those packs! - Maybe he will list some more!?

I would say it's safe to say all the Aqueous cards he had in those auctions were pack fresh - They all like nr mint-mint - I hope we see more!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Seems that one seller bought 5 of the packs, wonder if the seller is looking to build a set or if the cards will start showing up on ebay as singles.

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
I won pack #1 and got a
Nolan Ryan
Don Mattingly
Dale Murphy
Roger Clemens
11 commons
15 cards total and no puzzle.
They are real and not searched.
As a Murphy collector, I would have been through the roof excited but I had already shelled out for the Murphy listed a few months ago.
Good Luck to others.
Michael

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I won pack #1 and got a
Nolan Ryan
Don Mattingly
Dale Murphy
Roger Clemens
11 commons
15 cards total and no puzzle.
They are real and not searched.
As a Murphy collector, I would have been through the roof excited but I had already shelled out for the Murphy listed a few months ago.
Good Luck to others.
Michael

wow!