Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are Roberto Clemente memorabilia cards SO RARE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TopOffLikeWALLACE

Feb 11, 2010
HouStros
There seem to be very few jersey cards and even fewer patches.

Low end Mantle jersey cards seem to be 20-30 dollars and a Clemente jersey is 40 minimum.

What gives?

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
There is no Mantle $20-$30....They are the relic cards that come with the sets and aren't game worn/used. They are a piece of suit or tie etc. that Target/Walmart have on the top of the box of their special edition sets.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
There was an article in Beckett many years ago talking about game used pieces and they quoted a guy saying that 50s and 60s Phillies and Pirates jerseys are hard to find. This seems to be true as HOF guys like Ralph Kiner, Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn have had few if jersey cards. They have had some but I think are pants cards as you never see any patch cards from them.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I read an article, possibly the same one walter55 did but I think it was in Tuff Stuff or some other non-Beckett magazine, that said that a lot of teams used to recycle their unis back to the minors. I think it mentioned the Phillies and Pirates, as a couple of the least-rich teams, did that for a long time. It's possible that a lot of Clemente jerseys ended life as Joe Schmo from Buffalo jerseys.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
There seem to be very few jersey cards and even fewer patches.

What gives?

Becuase all the Roberto Clemente stuff is in the Roberto Clemente museum? ::facepalm::

saw some footage from that museum on the football game the other night - makes me want to go there if I never end up in the area - impressive collection of equipment!

Members online