Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So after 142 games who is taking the Orioles seriously?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This isn't a homer post, mainly because, as a realist, I have slight doubts myself. But after watching 126 Orioles games of clutch hitting and great bullpen pitching....who cares about run differential. If they can do that for 126 games, why can't they do it for 36 more?

I'm curious, after 126 games, the Orioles are tied with with Rays and Athletics for the wild care spot (the Rays have one more win and are half game ahead)....

What is your overall opinion of the Orioles this season and what do you think are their chances of just making the one game playoff?

EDIT: Their current record is 69-57.

EDIT #2: Buck should be unanimous Manager of the Year.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
They can go on a 10-15 game losing streak and be out of it - never too late for any sort of collapse for a team that hasn't won consistently in the last 10 years.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Honestly, probably no one....

Even if it comes down to the wire and they are still in the wild card chase, no one will. Even if they make the playoffs, no one will, if they make a run for the pennant, I still do not think anyone will, and if they somehow make it to the world series it may still be considered a fluke... Heck, if they win the world series, they were just an anomaly of luck.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I am... Of course I'm a life long Orioles fan; so, I "try" to take them serious every year. At the beginning I was hoping for near .500 ball; we'll see how it turns out, but either way they've done an excellent job so far.

WaxPax

I'm curious, after 126 games, the Orioles are tied with with Rays and Athletics for the wild care spot (the Rays have one more win and are half game ahead)....

What is your overall opinion of the Orioles this season and what do you think are their chances of just making the one game playoff?

I think they have as good a chance as anyone else, that being said, I still think it's going to be NY-Chi-Tex winning thier divisions, with TB & Det winning the WC's

EDIT: Their current record is 69-57.

EDIT #2: Buck should be anonymous Manager of the Year.

Showalter should be considered for Manager of the year, but not unanimous. You could make the argument that Melvin in Oakland, has done an equal if not better job than Buck, considering Beane sold off their 2 best pitchers (Cahill & Gio) and thier closer (Bailey) in the off season.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Honestly, probably no one....

Even if it comes down to the wire and they are still in the wild card chase, no one will. Even if they make the playoffs, no one will, if they make a run for the pennant, I still do not think anyone will, and if they somehow make it to the world series it may still be considered a fluke... Heck, if they win the world series, they were just an anomaly of luck.

It stings, but it's probably the truth. Just wondering if anyone out there did.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Steve Johnson...he came out of nowhere! Was he even on any O's prospect radars before the season started?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Steve Johnson...he came out of nowhere! Was he even on any O's prospect radars before the season started?

He's been a pleasant surprise that's for sure. If I remember correctly, someone picked him in the Rule 5 draft and then returned him. Also, he wasn't on the 40 man until we called him up for his MLB debut...

You see his stuff and think "how in the world does he have 23 strikeout in 17 innings":lol: But he's been locating the ball great and that is key.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
He's been a pleasant surprise that's for sure. If I remember correctly, someone picked him in the Rule 5 draft and then returned him. Also, he wasn't on the 40 man until we called him up for his MLB debut...

You see his stuff and think "how in the world does he have 23 strikeout in 17 innings":lol: But he's been locating the ball great and that is key.

What cards does he have? Does he have any?!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
They can go on a 10-15 game losing streak and be out of it - never too late for any sort of collapse for a team that hasn't won consistently in the last 10 years.

Actually it's never too late for any sort of collapse for ANY team. Remember how Boston blew a 9 game lead in the division in September of last year and missed the playoffs entirely?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think the Os will miss the playoffs. It's not that I don't believe they're a good team now that they've kept themselves in the picture this long after very low expectations. I just think if you look at the teams competing for the Wild Card spots, the odds are definitely against them.

Frow

It's fairly difficult to take them seriously, this is the team that was in first place for almost two months and are now in third place after spending two-three months being average.

As for who cares about run differential...well lots of people. Especially in a playoff game when your starter gets tagged for 6 runs. On the positive side at least 6 of the last 9 games are against sub .500 teams in that softball park.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I think they are like 52-0 if leading after 7. Thats a yankee like stat. I'm gonna give them 50-50 chance.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think they are like 52-0 if leading after 7. Thats a yankee like stat. I'm gonna give them 50-50 chance.

Yes it's been unreal. I know many people would choose Adam Jones for the Orioles MVP, but I would argue that Pedro Strop and Jim Johnson are the MVP's of that team.

Frow

That's one of the stats that sound good on paper but I'd like to see some context on how other teams stack up. Being undefeated given those conditions is pretty cool, but one of the big knocks on Closers has been that statistically when going into the 9th with the lead the team has an 88-95% chance of winning the game regardless of who is pitching. So since a teams typically only have a 30% of scoring in an inning anyway....even common sense tells us if you're leading late you'll probably win (as long as Jason Isringhauser isn't in your pen).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
That's one of the stats that sound good on paper but I'd like to see some context on how other teams stack up. Being undefeated given those conditions is pretty cool, but one of the big knocks on Closers has been that statistically when going into the 9th with the lead the team has an 88-95% chance of winning the game regardless of who is pitching. So since a teams typically only have a 30% of scoring in an inning anyway....even common sense tells us if you're leading late you'll probably win (as long as Jason Isringhauser isn't in your pen).

We aren't talking about 47 and 5 after 8...heck not even 52 and 0 after 8. We are talking about being 52-0 after seven. Six outs to go and with all the one run ball games they have won? That's amazing no matter which team it is.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Another 1 run win from a big time clutch homer - this time from Nate McLouth. 70 wins, 1 more than last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts