Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Since 2001 has there been an 'iconic' card...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Perhaps I am just having a brain freeze, but is the BC Pujols RC Auto the last iconic card our hobby has had? Sure, there have been cards that generated a lot of hype, enjoyed a bit of lore, but I am having trouble singling out a true "iconic" card over the last decade. Having said that, what will the next one be? Are the days of 1984 Donruss Mattingly, 1989 UD Griffey, 2001 BC Pujols Auto type cards reaching iconic status over? Has the hobby changed too much for any real focus to be put on any single card, the ammount of focus needed to obtain iconic stature...?

Just a few things I was wondering, any thoughts?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, the Ruth is a very good card, most everyone should know about it but I'm not sure I'd call it iconic...

My 'iconic' barometer could be off though :)

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
images

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Might be a bit premature to call those days "over" just yet. Something will come up and maybe it'll be a Strasburg, Harper, or Trout, etc. Griffeys and Pujols only come around every so often. It can't hurt that Topps is our only option either, it'll probably help

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
There's not enough collectors to make a card iconic anymore. There were millions of 84D Mattingly's & 89 UD Griffeys made, but they still became iconic & valuable. As for the Pujols Auto there are only 500, too few for the average collector to afford. Then there's the stupid color variations (no offense, I know this is FCB) that collectors pay stupid $ for. There may be iconic players in the future, but no, there won't be anymore iconic cards. Kinda sad.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
There's not enough collectors to make a card iconic anymore. There were millions of 84D Mattingly's & 89 UD Griffeys made, but they still became iconic & valuable. As for the Pujols Auto there are only 500, too few for the average collector to afford. Then there's the stupid color variations (no offense, I know this is FCB) that collectors pay stupid $ for. There may be iconic players in the future, but no, there won't be anymore iconic cards. Kinda sad.

Says the guy with the red variation Howard auto in his sig. ;)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think that there are a number of reasons we do not have any recent iconic cards. As mentioned, the proliferation of parallels does not help. I also think though, that it takes an iconic player to have an iconic card, and that takes some time.

Some cards that have iconic potential:

2004 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Andrew McCutchen Auto
2004 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Justin Upton Auto
2003 Bowman Heritage Robinson Cano Auto (less likely than the first two)

More recent cards of players like Harper, Strasburg, Trout, Hosmer etc. also have a chance.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
If baseball only, then probably the Strasburg Bowman. If not then the Lebron Exquisite, Rodgers Exquisite, Brady Contenders, Crosby Cup would qualify. The iconic cards are out there still.

~AJ

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Iconic cards come from iconic sets. Also, since *investors* don't make sets iconic... what sets have *collectors* sought/seek enough to make iconic since '01?

I'm not so sure that 2001 BC qualifies as iconic when given the number of minor league players the set has that nobody's really interested in or even heard of.