Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you rather have a 1/1 Bat Knob Card of your favorite player or an autographed GU Bat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
As a Buster Posey Supercollector, I really wanted the Tier One Bat Knob Card that recently sold on Ebay
but $1700+ was well over my budget (was willing to goto about 1,200).
KGrHqFHJBkENnFop-6BQGVJzLIw60_12.jpg

Instead I decided to purchase a Game Used Autographed Buster Posey bat for $1000 for my collection.
T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTN9BQMEWVr3G60_12.jpg

While the card is very cool, I think I prefer the whole bat at a much lower price.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Someone really wanted that Bat knob End and if you were to compare it to sales of other bat knobs its conceivable to say that someone overpaid for it even though several bidders were willing to pay over a $1000. You got to realize when people are buying memorbilia cards they are paying for the card, the set and the rarity of the memorbilia on a card itself. I can see A Hofer Getting big money but guys like Posey and Hamilton getting over a thousand buck some what doesnt make sense being that their bats come a dime a dozen and they will have plenty of game used bats considering that they are still playing. As for the Posey and current players I wouldnt be too upset because there will be more of these cards down the line being that they have many years of playing left.

Now for the question of would i rather have the full piece or the card and I cant believe im saying this but i would rather have the card. If i were to obtain a full memorbilia game used bat of my favorite player I would probably have the thing cut up and have Mike make a card out of it but thats me I collect cards and im just not into full pieces. If your happy with the full gamer then I think you did well getting the signed bat vs the Bat knob end on the card.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would much rather have the full game used bat. It's awesome to hold and swing an actual bat my favorite player used.
A card is a card, like my other cards, even though it may be more valuable.
I have a bunch of game used full bats and they're so much cooler than cards of cut up pieces.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I would rather have the card - Full game used equipment just doesn't excite me for some reason. I have never been able to get excited about it. But that's just me, if you are into full memorabilia pieces then you would probably prefer the full bat.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
For that kinda scratch I would prefer a game used bat especially if I know it was used for a significant at bat or hit.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If I really wanted a bat, I'd do exactly what you did and buy a bat - and not a card with a piece of bat.

I think you were very wise picking up the entire bat for a fraction of the cost.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have a Sizemore game bat, but he has no knob cards, so at this point I'd take a knob card over another bat, even a signed one, unless he signed it in front of me. But I'd take a full GU jersey over either. Been looking for one of those for a few years now, never found one.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great thread, should of made it a poll, I'm curious how it would of came out. For me, I have two game used bats of Albert Belle (neither signed) and zero knobs but he doesn't have any (yet?). I am really torn with this question... part of me thinks that I collect cards and not full memo of Belle and having a 1/1 like a knob card would be GREAT. On the other hand, full bats are just as awesome. I would probably vote for the knob card but only for the reason that if I didn't, I'd be spending scratch on full memo for Belle and zero on actual cards because I can pick up his memo for cheaper than his cards lol! Like full size baseballs signed by Belle go for less than $20 but stupid sticker auto cards can go for MUCH more...

O well, either way, it comes down to what you are happy with... If I was in your spot, I would of done what you did. Congrats on the bat... I'd display it on the wall.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Hands down, the bat. I suppose I am biased as I am a game used collector, but it's more of a more-for-less issue than my collecting habits, although as mentioned above, having a knob would display better and would be easier to store.

BUT, a card is going to be much easier to damage than a bat, not that it would be done intentionally, but as humans, we do have a tendency to drop things on occasion.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I'm a card collector not a memorabilia collector so it would be card all day. I could buy bats/jerseys etc all day long on Ebay and I've never done it. I don't have a room to display these types of big items so I just focus on the cards.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Would take full game used item every time. As long as it it MLB authenticated and can be matched to use in games. Then you know it's real and have no doubt. I like cards, but not game used cards. Who knows if these knobs are real, used by player ect. Guys get a lot of bats and give them out to other players to use ect. No way of knowing if a bat knob card is legit in first place. No brainer if I want a game used item, I want full thing with proof. We all know all fakes passed off in auction houses ect. Sold to card companies ect. But no one makes any kind of big deal out of it, because they know all the money some collectors have tied up in game used cards. But never say boo to all scandals.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
If it was Roberto Clemente I would take the full game used bat as they are scarce. If it was a modern player, I would take the card as I could find a bat easier and probably cheaper.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I've gone back and forth on this. For a long time, the beginning of my relapse into collecting, the thrill was in "i go to school with these guys, and some professional company is making real cards of them? neat!" and I bought a bunch of cards. However, that was 4-5 years ago. As my tastes and ability to pay have developed, I've begun to prefer the gamer. I have bats of Ryan Flaherty, Curt Casali, Pedro Alvarez and Aaron Westlake. The big thing is a whole DPrice gamer jersey. I still would like well-done jersey/bat cards, but really, for as cool as a particular patch might be, I'd just as soon buy the whole item. The sheer thrill of some 3rd party, big deal card company (Topps, UD and Panini for me) making cards of VU guys is wearing off, given that we've sort of had a lot of well-known players across the major sports.

This might be an indictment on the quality of game-used cards. Those knob cards are very nice looking. Triple threads is not.

I will say, ever since I've gotten the bats and jerseys, my interest in GU cards has plummeted, to the extent that I am selling off the high-end DPrice relic autos I have (though I may wait a bit for his prices to catch up to his performance).

Short summary: GU cards are a gateway drug to the harder, more exotic full-item narcotics.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Personally rather have a full piece of memorbilia. Save a small piece of baseball history from the shredder

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts