Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Topps Diamond Giveaway Question???? HELP needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
So I called Topps last week and they said that the 2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary Sets from the Diamond Giveaway promotion were on backorder and I wasn't too happy since I thought they should have enough made already to fulfull order that people were placing at the end of the promotion.

So I come home today and there is a rather large box from Topps sitting on my front porch. I grab it and I'm like damn this thing is heavy. I was just expecting my Diamond Anniversary set, but when I opened the box up I noticed that there were a TON of cards inside. So I'm thinking to myself great Topps messed up my order and I got someone elses or something. I then read the letter in the box and said that they were unable to fulfill my request and they provided a replacement since the sets were backordered.

It the box they included:

A complete 2012 Topps Set

And then a COMPLETE SET OF DIAMOND DIE CUTS from the promotion!!

All 155 die cuts. These were pretty hard to unlock during the promotion so I feel like this is a huge upgrade in regards to the Diamond Anniversary set they didn't ship.

Anyone else get something like this? Any idea on a value on a complete set of these die cuts?

I don't know if they did this for everyone or just myself because I entered close to 500 and unlocked the Stanton Diamond Embedded, so I dont know if they looked at my profile and saw all of that and gave me a big upgrade or if everyone else is getting a replacement like this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Very nice! If you do want a Diamond giveaway set I got one available lol

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Very nice! If you do want a Diamond giveaway set I got one available lol

Lol no thanks man. I was just going to sell mine when I got it.

Anyone have an idea on value of something like this? Some of the players sell for $20+. I realize some sell for barely anything but I can't find any examples of sets that have sold on ebay like this.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Wow! That's a huge "Sorry for the backorder"!

Let's say those things average around $7 - $10 and you're looking at at least $1k. Not bad considering the 2011 Anniversary set sells for less than $30.

Thats exactly what I was thinking! I thought if they averaged around that I might get close to $1k, but I just couldn't believe it. Still am a little shocked Topps favored me in this replacement. Usually its the other way around lol.

Thanks for the info!

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
Thats exactly what I was thinking! I thought if they averaged around that I might get close to $1k, but I just couldn't believe it. Still am a little shocked Topps favored me in this replacement. Usually its the other way around lol.

Thanks for the info!
All I got was a standard factory set, not even the Diamond Anniversary set.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
All I got was a standard factory set, not even the Diamond Anniversary set.

Damn dude how many codes did you enter?

Im starting to think that its because I entered like 450 or so codes (a lot of which I bought at a steal price of like $.50 a piece in a huge lot) and I unlocked a diamond embedded. That's the only reason I can think of as to why I got all the extras

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
So you opened it to see? You cannot tell the difference from the box. The only difference between the normal set and the anni set is the foil stamping on each card.

Maybe he meant he just got the 2012 set like I did?

Also in these 2012 Topps Complete sets there is a pack of 5 orange border cards. Is it worth it to open this set and see if Harper is in there? Are these the orange border ones that are #/190? Because the Harper one seems to sell around $100 and other orange border ones don't sell too bad. Is it worth it to open the set or does that take away its value if I remove the shrink wrap?

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
So you opened it to see? You cannot tell the difference from the box. The only difference between the normal set and the anni set is the foil stamping on each card.

Well, that is different, then. I thought the Diamond Anniversary giveaway sets came in a different box, and thought I saw a picture of one on the old Diamond Giveaway web-site. I will have to crack open the box this weekend and see just what exacly is inside.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Maybe he meant he just got the 2012 set like I did?

Also in these 2012 Topps Complete sets there is a pack of 5 orange border cards. Is it worth it to open this set and see if Harper is in there? Are these the orange border ones that are #/190? Because the Harper one seems to sell around $100 and other orange border ones don't sell too bad. Is it worth it to open the set or does that take away its value if I remove the shrink wrap?

Any thoughts on this post of mine?

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
I posted in another thread that my set was on backorder as well.

I also received a letter stating they couldnt fulfill the Anniversary set.

In the box with my letter was, a standard 2012 set and the complete DIE CUT set!!!

Thanks Topps!

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
yes topps is sending out the die cut sets as restitution to everyone the way it seems

Yea kind of sucks. It will flood the market with these things now and prices will be way down on them. Also its not the complete set. It's missing die cuts 152 and 153 I think because they were Hobby store promotions only, not ones available online.

I'm surprised they don't sell for more since these were pretty hard to unlock when the promotion was going on.

BTW no one has answered my question that I've asked twice now lol. Is it worth opening the 2012 complete set? Because there is that pack of orange refractors and a chance (slim) at a Bryce Harper Orange which sell pretty well.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Yea kind of sucks. It will flood the market with these things now and prices will be way down on them. Also its not the complete set. It's missing die cuts 152 and 153 I think because they were Hobby store promotions only, not ones available online.

I'm surprised they don't sell for more since these were pretty hard to unlock when the promotion was going on.

BTW no one has answered my question that I've asked twice now lol. Is it worth opening the 2012 complete set? Because there is that pack of orange refractors and a chance (slim) at a Bryce Harper Orange which sell pretty well.

What is the Value of a Sealed Factor Set with Orange cards?

What is the Value of a 661 Card set?

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
For those that received the die cut sets, it looks like they are not selling for as much as we thought they would. I don't know if anyone follows sales but one just ended for around the $250 mark. No where close to what I thought these would sell for, but hey it was free so can't complain. I guess I will be listing mine soon unless any of you guys think there is any long term value in this die cut set?

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
This is complete bullXXXX. I get a dirt common 1959 Topps card as a "replacement" for my 1960 Topps that was on backorder, and you guys arev getting die cut sets as a replacement for a stupid factory set? I know it sounds like sour grapes and all that, but this is ridiculous. How the hell can a 60 year old card be on backorder???

greg

Members online

Latest posts