Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Too Many Refractor Variations Hurting Market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I was discussing this with a buddy and we both agreed that the amount of refractor variations is hurting the market of newer guys because of the amount of variations out there.

Lets see, the variations (I can remember) are:

Refractor = /500, /777
Purple Refractor = /799
Green X-Fractor
X-Fractor
Green Refractor = /225
Blue Refractor = /150
Blue Wave refractor = /400
Gold Refractor = /50
Black Refractor auto/25
Orange Refractor = /25
Red Wave refractor = /25
Purple Refractor auto = /10
Red Refractor = /5
Superfractor = /1
Canary Refractor = /1

What are some of your thoughts?

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
You can add atomic and sepia from last year.
I pity the player collector "completists". LOL

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
...arent they adding camo as well?

Wouldnt surprise me!

And then 4 printing plates as well.

I think it's too much...

I would like to see base, refractor, x-fractor, blue refractor, gold refractor, super fractor

To be fair, plates arent refractors. But, they are another variation :/

I would also like to go back to just having those 5 variations of refractors plus the base. I wouldnt mind keeping the Red/5 or make the Canary/5 or /10

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Makes me glad I don't collect a current player. Olerud's last playing year in cards was 2005 so there's only a few refractor variations each year and (I think) one super.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Yes, values suck of non-superstar cards. I've been able to get three or four 2012 Topps Chrome Red Refractors of JJ for $5 and under. It's pitiful. Good for collector's of players who aren't named Jeter, but bad for folks busting tons of wax or cases, trying to make a portion of their money back.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I was discussing this with a buddy and we both agreed that the amount of refractor variations is hurting the market of newer guys because of the amount of variations out there.

Lets see, the variations (I can remember) are:

Refractor = /500, /777
Purple Refractor = /799
Green X-Fractor
X-Fractor
Green Refractor = /225
Blue Refractor = /150
Blue Wave refractor = /400
Gold Refractor = /50
Black Refractor auto/25
Orange Refractor = /25
Red Wave refractor = /25
Purple Refractor auto = /10
Red Refractor = /5
Superfractor = /1
Canary Refractor = /1

What are some of your thoughts?

The number of refractors isn't hurting the market, lack of collectors IS hurting the market. There *should* be more than 2000 people interested in a refractor of a particular player.

Anyone else remember when a 2K print run was thought to be tiny?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Wouldnt surprise me!

To be fair, plates arent refractors. But, they are another variation :/

I would also like to go back to just having those 5 variations of refractors plus the base. I wouldnt mind keeping the Red/5 or make the Canary/5 or /10

True.

I think getting rid of the red and making a canary #'d/5 would be pretty sweet.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I think a limit of 6 total (1 base 5 refractors is plenty) not counting the 4 plates. Probably 2 many.

Would like to see more insert sets that are harder pulls. I really like the die cuts from Topps Chrome this year. Reminds me of the 90s insert sets. Of course thats part of the reason MOST base cards have become next to worthless.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Every year that goes by, I become less and less interested in this hobby. Too many retarded parallels are part of the problem. It's just getting silly. Camo-fractors? Yeah....

2005 was the best year for chrome IMO. It was simple and straightforward. Now its a freaking mess. Doesn't help that every year they keep changing colors and according serial #'s.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I don't understand people complaining about too much stuff to collect. If you don't love it, don't do it.

I agree with this to a point. Everyone is free to collect what they want, but to me the refractor situation now is kind of like what happened in the early 2000's. IMHO all the silly refractor versions now are like Fleer Mystique, Focus, Focus Jersey Edition, Hardball, Showcase, and all the other sets with their parallels. It's putting out a card issue for the sake of putting out another card issue, and the availability of so many sets/parallels hurts the collectibility of each set.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I've written about this on the FCB homepage. If you aren't ridiculously wealthy in 2012 you have to define/limit your collection (particularly player collections). I'm happy to just buy Topps products of one of the guys I collect and leave the rest. For this particular guy I can't get enough parallels - I love them. I'm happy to collect guys (a la Olerud) in a more complete way if I know what to expect.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I don't think it's refractor variations hurting the market, I think it's the rip and flip buyers. Truth is it's not much a hobby anymore. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember growing up and people bought boxes and cards to collect, not to rip and flip. I mean I can't remember anyone besides card shop owners buying a case of cards, let alone multiple cases. Now you even have teenagers buying cases for the main purpose of trying to make a quick buck. I think what that is doing is driving the prices of boxes sky high and then flooding the market making individual cards, except for the very few hot cards like the Harpers and Trouts, worth alot less on the market. Ebay has only added to the problem because unlike before where you had limited quantities of cards, places and people you could buy from, now you literally had hundreds if not thousands of different cards, people and places.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Mario's point seems to be a lot closer to the real problem. I think a lot guys are aggravated because it used to be easier to rip and flip, and while it's still possible, the sheer amount of stuff out there and eBay really kill the value.

Members online

Latest posts