Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My have times changed. 300 game winners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
On the MLB network the past couple of days they have replayed the 300th win games of Tom Seaver and Gaylord Perry.
They also mentioned Phil Niekro's as well.
Seaver and Niekro both spun their 300th win in 1985 while Perry did the trick in 1982.

Do you know what is remarkable about them?
All three threw complete games and all 3 were over 40. Seaver was 40, Niekro was 46 and Perry was 43.
I was trying to find pitch counts in those games but so far I have been unsuccessful.
Unreal when you think about it compared to today.

G

klute14 said:
On the MLB network the past couple of days they have replayed the 300th win games of Tom Seaver and Gaylord Perry.
They also mentioned Phil Niekro's as well.
Seaver and Niekro both spun their 300th win in 1985 while Perry did the trick in 1982.

Do you know what is remarkable about them?
All three threw complete games and all 3 were over 40. Seaver was 40, Niekro was 46 and Perry was 43.
I was trying to find pitch counts in those games but so far I have been unsuccessful.
Unreal when you think about it compared to today.
Wow unreal
Was Greg Maddox 39 or 40 when you throw his 300th game???

He was born on April 16th 1966 and throw it in April of 2005 if I remember right

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Interesting, but not too surprising. Niekro and Perry especially were true workhorses who seemed to NEVER tire out! Will have to see if I can watch those games, thanks for the headsup!

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Phil Niekro threw a shutout to win his 300th game.

In that game, he became the oldest pitcher to throw a complete game shutout, at 46 years 188 days (Charlie Hough was 28 days younger when he threw one in June 1994). It was the last game of the regular season. Note that Mattingly hit his 35th HR and drove in his 145th RBI in that game, as a final stamp on his only MVP season.

David

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
JackLondon said:
Interesting, but not too surprising. Niekro and Perry especially were true workhorses who seemed to NEVER tire out! Will have to see if I can watch those games, thanks for the headsup!

What I found out about Phil yesterday really stunned me. I was reading Bill James' Handbook yesterday and it said Phil pitched over 300 innings in 4 different seasons. As a fan of the modern game, that just blew my mind, since he wasn't pitching that long ago. Things changed really quick it seems.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Whats also impressive about Niekro is he is currently 1 of only 9or10 pitchers ever to have 300wins and 3000strikeouts and yes he played along time but that in itself is it's own feat.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Penno said:
JackLondon said:

What I found out about Phil yesterday really stunned me. I was reading Bill James' Handbook yesterday and it said Phil pitched over 300 innings in 4 different seasons. As a fan of the modern game, that just blew my mind, since he wasn't pitching that long ago. Things changed really quick it seems.

Keep in mind your talking about a knuckleball pitcher.. they don't throw with any kind of velocity so as long as the junk is working they could easily throw complete games every time out.. you could easily have them appear in relief in between starts as well to get even more innings out of them or pitch them on short rest.. its definately not like today's game where the starters are on pitch counts and have 5 days rest between starts.. different era of baseball totally.

Members online

Latest posts