Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shelby Miller getting the call!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As expected, he'll be used only in relief, but I hope he makes the rotation next year. He'll get some much needed experience first.

WASHINGTON – Motivated by a growing need for arms as well as a young pitcher’s metamorphosis, the Cardinals will include top pitching prospect Shelby Miller among those it promotes from Triple-A Memphis this week.

Miller, 21, appeared to have stagnated for much of the season until a recent surge convinced the club of his worthiness to participate in its push for a postseason berth. Miller furthered his case with a strong six-inning outing against Nashville on Friday, when he allowed one run and five hits while striking out nine without a walk. The win left him at 11-10 with a 4.74 ERA this season, ordinary-looking numbers except when balanced against an abysmal first half.

In his last 10 starts beginning July 14, Miller amassed a 7-2 record and 2.88 ERA while limiting opposing hitters to a .217 average. Once viewed as resistant to coaching, Miller helped his standing by embracing changes to his mechanics and exhibiting greater willingness to feature off-speed pitches.

Miller, the club’s first-round selection in the 2009 amateur draft, struck out 66 against only six walks in his last nine appearances compared to 100 strikeouts against 44 walks in his first 18 starts. Miller averaged more than six innings during his last nine appearances and struck out at least nine in three of his last five. The Pacific Coast League also named Miller its pitcher of the week twice in August.

Too thin when he reached spring training because of an unauthorized off-season conditioning program, Miller has regained weight and velocity the last two months. The club promoted Joe Kelly and Trevor Rosenthal ahead of him this season and for the first time was willing to make him available during July trade talks.

The Cardinals must add Miller to its 40-man roster when they promote him Tuesday. The rest of those promoted – infielder Ryan Jackson, outfielder Adron Chambers and reliever Victor Marte – already are on the 40-man roster. The club may recall a player on its roster at any time during September.

No plan currently exists for Miller to receive a September start. He is more likely to be used in a mop-up relief role while gaining exposure to a major-league staff that was unimpressed by his aloofness in spring training.

Miller recently insisted that part of this season’s transformation involves greater appreciation for the game and his teammates.

An increased need for pitching help arose during the Cardinals’ 10-game road trip that concluded Sunday against the Washington Nationals. Saturday’s 10-9 occurred despite a season-most seventh consecutive start of less than six innings. The bullpen entered Sunday having worked 33 2/3 innings during the three-city tour. The total included at least two innings in each game and at least three innings in seven.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
Shelby.jpg

My one and only

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice. I've always liked him as a prospect, he brings a lot to the table. One of those guys that I always intended to stash but never got around to it. Looking forward to following his progress in the Majors anyway.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Nice, I snagged 6 base and a ref for decent prices when he started to turn it around. Hopefully we see a redux of David Price down the stretch.

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
SHELBY TIME..FINALLY

Didnt see it posted but as a Cardinal fan its about time! He had some issues earlier this year but it seems the kinks have been or being worked out. Kid apparently needed atitude adjustment as well.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I thought I had read he was back up around 95-96 his last several starts in Memphis. I wonder if the gun was off on the TV feed.

Members online