Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you like to see a weekly FCB Update Email?

Would you like to see a weekly email that includes events and information posted on FCB for the

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Hey Guys

I'm putting together a weekly email program for the website, and I thought that before I just roll it out there that I would gauge some public reaction to receiving such a thing.

Would you like to see a weekly email that includes events and information posted on FCB for the week?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
A weekly? No

If something is worthy of an email. Yes

Special events, Giveaways, Autograph signings are worthy of an email.... Do you have enough content for 52 emails?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
A weekly? No

If something is worthy of an email. Yes

Special events, Giveaways, Autograph signings are worthy of an email.... Do you have enough content for 52 emails?

Yes, I would say that you guys provide enough content for 52 emails.

Not to mention the blog postings that get made.

I'm trying to figure out how to reach out to those who left and maybe persuade them to come back.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Nope....it would just give me another thing that is directed to my spam folder...if didn't affect the PM notifications, I wouldn't care.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
What blogs? There's blogs somewhere? This is a serious question, when you asked I thought the only thing you could email out was the hot list. I really don't get why so many walked away. This community, from its origins on the BMB, is the best there is and always has been

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
What blogs? There's blogs somewhere? This is a serious question, when you asked I thought the only thing you could email out was the hot list. I really don't get why so many walked away. This community, from its origins on the BMB, is the best there is and always has been

Yes, there is a blog on the front page that sees content.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yes, there is a blog on the front page that sees content.

I see what you're saying. Daily content would help though I get that this is not easy. At least more frequent content because after awhile my brain is trained to not even look at the main page, just assuming the latest hot list is the only thing on there. What happened to previews, box reviews, etc.? How about offering a $5 gift card or free shipping on next purchase or something similar to those that write a review? I'm sure you've thought about these things a million times and I know I've seen threads so maybe I'm just peeing into the wind

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
I see what you're saying. Daily content would help though I get that this is not easy. At least more frequent content because after awhile my brain is trained to not even look at the main page, just assuming the latest hot list is the only thing on there. What happened to previews, box reviews, etc.? How about offering a $5 gift card or free shipping on next purchase or something similar to those that write a review? I'm sure you've thought about these things a million times and I know I've seen threads so maybe I'm just peeing into the wind

Purchase of what? The only one who really sells product here is Andrew.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Its a good idea but weekly is too much. I would suggest monthly. Then if it became something everyone really liked to move it to biweekly.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Then what do you guys suggest?

Assuming this was not a rhetorical question, then may I make a suggestion...

Just keep things as they were/are. Aside from the initial migration from BBC to here, it has always been the members and member content that gives this forum credability, validity, and attraction. No ammount of spam mail or flyers or whatever is going to change that. Having flyers in packages, sending out spam mail and the sort is obviously a form of advertisment but not the right kind in my humble opinion. And to be honest, it somewhat seems a bit agressive and/or desperate as well. I understand that to you this is a business and more members to 'harvest' from via eBay and Amazon, ect.. is important to you, but for almost every member here, it's just a place to chit chat about the hobby...

Word of mouth is simply the most dominant form of advertising. When I hear of new things via chatter I usually seek them out. When I buy a card and get a spam flyer in it, I tend to throw it out and give similar attention to email spam. But to address the real issue... I've said this before and I will say it again, ALL antiquated messageboard sites such as this one are dying out due to social media sites such as Facebook. Off the top of my head I can think of a dozen that have 400 - 500 members each and just about all of them would never use a post/thread style board for their hobby needs. Sites such as this will retain the 'older' crowd that was brought up and use to this type of communication but virtually all new to the net/hobby potential members are seeking out and staying in the social media sites that offer everything they need.

In the end, I really do not think there is anything you can do. Perhaps start a facebook trading card group and hope some will migrate here as well out of curiosity? But this still will not negate the fact that many are turning towards social media outlets where it is usually more transparent who you are dealing with, interaction is instant, and new members are coming in droves. Like any business, you always enjoy taking competitors 'customers' but the real value is in 'new business'. Unfortunatly most all 'new business' is heading towards social media outlets...

Good luck though! And for what it's worth, I think FCB is still the most active antiquated messageboard style web site out there and thats saying something right there!

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Would it be possible to get a 'preview' of what you'd be sending out? I think that would provide more insight into what you are trying to accomplish and allow members to give constructive feedback.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
You can say that facebook will phase out websites like this all you want, but you have to remember that facebook is never going to bend to the specific needs of every niche. This site can adjust to the hobby as it evolves.

And besides, show me a large facebook sports card group. There aren't any huge ones that I know of.

Latest posts