Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors, a question for you. How much have you spent on your main player PC ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I was just running numbers through my head, trying to figure out what I've dropped on Josh Johnson stuff. It's an insane amount, where I think I've dropped, in the neighborhood, mind you, of around $10K ... ::facepalm::

Just wondering what ya'll have spent, since I see some incredible player PC's out there that put mine to absolute shame (some of the Canseco, Cal Ripken, Nelson's Jeter PC, etc).

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think I've dropped, in the neighborhood, mind you, of around $10K ... ::facepalm::
First off, incredible JJ collection.
Just wondering, why do you buy so many multiples of the same autographed card? You could save so much money just buying one of each, and then saving for those rare cards and memorabilia that could come up for sale at any moment.
I'm not criticizing you. Many player collectors have your mindset.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
First off, incredible JJ collection.
Just wondering, why do you buy so many multiples of the same autographed card? You could save so much money just buying one of each, and then saving for those rare cards and memorabilia that could come up for sale at any moment.
I'm not criticizing you. Many player collectors have your mindset.

because he is dedicated. :)

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
because he is dedicated. :)

That and because I'm obsessed. Plus, if the rarer ones would show up, either here, Blowout, SCF, eBay, through texts or whatnot, I'd be nearing completion. I've missed some plates because they just go for a higher amount that I'm shocked at or something is up on a 24 hour auction, that, before, I couldn't see since we didn't have the internet at the apt. Finally, the prices for his stuff have come down to prices where they were nearly at when I started collecting in '08. Not all, but a lot of the '06 (RC) year auto's. Just won a '06 Topps Chrome Black Refractor Auto /200 for $13 dlvd or so ! I can't turn anything down when prices are like that :-D

And, Austin, no offense taken. It's gonna take a lot more than that to ruffle my Amish feathers :-D.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I stopped adding when it rivaled the price of a new sports car - That's when my wife asked about upgrading to a bigger safety deposit box!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I've really only spent $400-$500 on my collection of Glen Perkins

I have actually received lots of help that I am very grateful for. My collection wouldn't be what it is without the help I have received.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It's an interesting question. I've thrown down for only 2 cards over $500, but probably 60+ cards at $50-ish. Then there are the dozens of GU.

Yount's stuff went up about 40% after Upper Deck stopped producing.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I don't even want to know! Probably enough to pay off my car or had a nice down payment on our house.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Don't even want to think about it. I haven't nearly as much as some guys because the most expensive Belle card I've purchased was like $200 but I've purchases a lot over $100 and done a ton of $50-$100 purchases on Beckett market place, etc.

Anyways, I'm happy with my hobby and feel happy and comfortable saying I have the #1 Albert Belle collection out there.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Probably about $10k invested in my top 100 cards; I don't want to imagine the cheap stuff because I have a lot more of that and it adds up.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Don't even want to think about it. I haven't nearly as much as some guys because the most expensive Belle card I've purchased was like $200 but I've purchases a lot over $100 and done a ton of $50-$100 purchases on Beckett market place, etc.

Anyways, I'm happy with my hobby and feel happy and comfortable saying I have the #1 Albert Belle collection out there.

Really? - that is pretty awesome - I have never been bold enough to claim that of my collection - I wonder though!

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
I've never added it up, but I can confidently say over 10K. If I had the running total in front of me it would probably make me gun shy on the rarer stuff that pops up. It's best I don't know...

It helps that I don't have a wife or kids. This is how I justify my spending. ;)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
My conversation with my wife:
Her: "How much have you spent on these Tony Gwynn cards?"
Me: "I don't really know...a couple thousand or so..."
Her: "Well how much is it worth?"
Me: "Oh, at least forty to fifty thousand, at least!"

Reality:
Me: "At least $5,000..."
Me: "Less than $5,000...:("

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
My conversation with my wife:
Me: "I don't really know...a couple thousand or so..."
Me: "Oh, at least forty to fifty thousand, at least!"

Reality:
Me: "At least $5,000..."
Me: "Less than $5,000...:("

I swear I had that conversation with my wife the other day. With Hurricane Isaac here for a few days, we didn't get mail on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday I got home and had 12 bubble mailers waiting for me. That's what sparked the conversation we had. LOL!

Members online