Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where we are at VS Where we are heading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I am sure everyone has noticed that there are days that it does not seem like many are here chatting. It's something that I have noticed as well, and I would like to outline a few things that we are doing to attempt to fix it.

There are a few factors that could have something to do with the slow traffic

#1 has to be the software change. Good or bad, people hate change and no matter what you do they simply will not accept it. And there is a sub group of those people who genuinely like the old site better. I certainly understand that as the old site was simple and very clean.

#2 Is probably the consistency of blowout's forum. Day in and day out, it's up unchanged and problem free. We have changes, bugs and a format people still aren't quite comfortable with.

#3 Facebook groups. This is one I really don't buy, as none really serve in the same capacity that a big hobby board does. Now, there are a lot of them and the fact that new hobby boards pop up every day certainly does not help things.

I think we have some great things to offer that other sites do not though. Our content is ok... other than the hot list it's a bit inconsistent but still ok. The podcast is coming back. The BGS group grading system is phenomenal (Man, Phil is some kinda big shot around here huh) And the mobile apps seem to be well received. That is what we are doing right now to help increase traffic.

In the next few weeks you will see some improvements to the site and improvements to the way we go out and market trying to find users. I am going to more shows, such as the Chicago Sun Times and other large shows that pop up across the country even if I can only make it out for a day. Shows I can't make I will try to send a volunteer with some booth space and promotional material. I believe shows to be the best way to promote. We got where we are by being a corporate sponsor of the National.

More content! This is a no brainer and must happen.

I am also experimenting with a VOLUNTARY peer to peer IM system that will be an advanced version of our private messaging system. Users will be able to send instant messages back and forth in a tool bar at the bottom of the browser. Here is a screen shot.

highlight13.jpg

This is what I got going on... You got any suggestions?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
You have been addressing this quite a bit lately..... Is this place headed down the toilet?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
For me its much simpler... I'm fed up with the card industry. Used to buy tons to break. Now I buy a box every other month or so.

The old site was better, there is no question. Got used to this one though.

I also post on blowout a lot these days, but that's mainly because there are more people there to talk about things that I do collect (boxing cards, mma, sketch cards, etc.) Here, 90% of the topics are prospect based. And I HATE prospects...lol

Freedom is still awesome, it just needs a kick in the ass.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
It's been mentioned in a thread here and there, but not in a dedicated moderator run thread. Traffic is down, that much is obvious. I want to assure people that we aren't just letting it happen.

It does seem there have been an uptick in traffic the last month or two.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Here, 90% of the topics are prospect based. And I HATE prospects...lol

I agree with this. All the prospect stuff gets annoying but it's not like you can tell people not to post about it. It's just sometimes better on other boards because you don't have to sort through all the prospect stuff. However, this is still my #1 visited website.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
It doesn't help when a new person asks a question that is perceived to be stupid and he/she is immediately pounced on by some of the Neanderthals that frequent the boards.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Yea, noticed that traffic is down. Seems like there isn't much to post about. Even the daily MLB and Milb threads don't get too much action anymore. The traffic being down can create a ripple effect too. For instance, Latos had a good start tonight, might be worth posting in the MLB thread, but what's the point? Barely anyone responds.

Honestly, the more Leaf controversy and the more Topps screws up, the better for FCB.

Just seems like the board needs more card content, maybe do something like the set of the month, where a set gets highlighted and discussed. It can bring attention to a set and then there can be a corresponding thread in the transaction forums for the set so people can buy/sell/trade. Think the APOH, ginter relic/auto, ginter n43, topps tek, etc.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Why don't you send out promotional materials, decals, FCB card sets, promo materials from Panini, Leaf, T-shirts & signs for use at large card shows across the country to members that live in the area. An example would be if there was a big show in Philly, we can set up, us locals can maybe take a day each. We can promote FCB with goodies and handouts, etc. You rent the space and in turn each day we would be able to set up as our fee. Just an idea. But we can hit major markets that way.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
We need the old Miggy back. Plus bring back Dice-K Collector. Leaf threads always get responses. I try my best to piss people off but it doesnt work anymore.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I like the new site much better.

Much respect to the guys for getting it done. At first I was a skeptic, but I have come to enjoy it immensely

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
For me its much simpler... I'm fed up with the card industry. Used to buy tons to break. Now I buy a box every other month or so.

The old site was better, there is no question. Got used to this one though.

I also post on blowout a lot these days, but that's mainly because there are more people there to talk about things that I do collect (boxing cards, mma, sketch cards, etc.) Here, 90% of the topics are prospect based. And I HATE prospects...lol

Freedom is still awesome, it just needs a kick in the ass.

I agree with what Ty said about the bolded. There has to be some way to open the boards up to other type of collectors than prospectors, how about a hot list of hofer cards sold?? I cant tell you exactly whats needed but it has to be more than just prospectors. There has to be a way to expand the boards to bring in other type of collectors than prospectors. Also the Leaf threads just turned a ton of people off as for as many people that like Razor there are just as many that dislike it. Opening there own forum was one of the best things you could have done. Jmo

Last edited:

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
What about making a separate prospect forum? Might be easier to draw in the masses that aren't so big on prospects if they didn't have to wade through all the posts in the Baseball forum.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Day one of a release in baseball and there are 40 box breaks over on blowout, yet there none here, unless its chrome. This board is ruled by prospectors,but is that bad? I see nothing wrong with a niche type message board. FCB is just as informative, if not more, than others when it comes to baseball. Other sports are
lacking here however. There is a good deal of both intelligence AND controversy here. I think both of those things are important to keep readership high. More
diversity would be great. Isn't the core idea behind these message boards is that you can speak your mind and not get modded to death? I will also agree that
the hobby isn't exactly bringing in new collectors. We, as a collective, have done almost nothing to usher in the next generation of collectors. The numbers will
probably always trend down until that changes.

Kevin

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
yes traffic is down but i think there is a better mix of threads. heck look at the front page. there are only two prospect threads on the first page.

Members online

Latest posts