Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you know that Hank Aaron = Kent Hadley? According to Topps...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
So about 10 months ago, I was entering codes from the Diamond Giveaway promotion on Topps' website. I hit the usual cluster of mid-90's commons and asmattering of late 80's stars when I nailed a gem - a 1960 Topps Hank Aaron. I found some other cards I wanted sent to me, submitted everything, and awaited my goodies. 4 weeks later, I got 24 cards and a letter, stating the 1960 Topps Aaron was on backorder and would be shipped as soon as it was available.

What? How the heck could a 51 year old card NOT BE AVAILABLE. In the 10 months since then, I've come across over 100 copies of the card in various conditions - at shows, online, in shops - but had yet to receive a notification from Topps explaining why they couldn't ship me one. I made several phone calls to them, each time I was told to be patient and that they were working on it. I finally called them again 2 weeks ago and explained the situation. They said the company was working very hard to fulfill these orders, and I would either be getting my exact card or a equal valued replacement AND a bonus card very soon.

Yesterday, I got my package from Topps. Instead of my 1960 Hank Aaron was a letter stating that the card wasn't available, but here are 2 cards from a previous year to make up for it. My cards?

1959 Topps Kent Hadley #127 (VG)
1959 Topps Dutch Dotterer #288 (F)

There are so many things wrong with this I can't even begin to explain. I've now been on hold with Topps for 30 minutes waiting for a rep to talk to me about this. Has anyone else gotten boned in a similar fashion?

Greg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
That is just flat out terrible and can only draw 1 of 2 conclusions...

1. Topps is really that out of touch with it's hobby

2. Topps is really that blantantly disrespectful towards it's customers.

It may also be a combination of both...

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Adam is correct in that the Hank Arrons they would have sent you would probably be too beat up to have value on the fip side of that I would rather have a beat up Hank Arron than the other 2 guys they sent :lol:

Good luck OP.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I realize the condition would have awful at best - I've won enough cards off of the site to know what they sedn. It's the principle of the thing. I won a hall of fame card from one of my favorite sets and I received 2 less-than-commons from a year I couldn't care less about.

They truly don't care about the customer. I was on hold for 40 minutes before I was disconnected from the system with the message "all customer service reps are busy at this time, please try your call again later"

Greg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've shared this before but I'll share it again in Cliff Notes version.

2001 Topps Tribute = $50 per pack
Day After Christmas = plopped down on 1 pack
Kid gets a Vintage Topps Ted Williams BuyBack Redemption = $400-$500 on eBay
Redeemed and waited = Card came back as
cb8393c7-d2f5-4d8e-9626-ef2c50b46c19.jpg

I was crushed. I quit cards until 2005ish because of it. At the time many thought it might be autographed, graded or a combination. To this day, the biggest kick to the nads I've gotten from a card company.

Members online

Latest posts