Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I guess it is my turn since I asked!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
In another thread I asked our vintage collectors for scans of what they have in their collection. I guess it is my turn to show a little of what I have right now.

My idea of vintage ends at 1974 which is the first year they didnt issue cards in a series. I happened to start collecting in 1973 at a nine year old and continued to collect to this day. I have lost my focus on my collection so many times over the last 40 years that I have bought and sold almost everything I have ever owned. I have now decided to go back and collect the years I collected as a kid (73 to 76) and any other set that just catches my eye. One such set that I found I really liked is the 1951 to 53 Dormand postcard set. I just started collecting these a few months ago but I believe I have a good start on them. There is only a small amount of cards in the set and it includes Mantle, Berra, Campanella and other ball players that were mainly playing in New York atthe time. The Kodachrome used to produce these cards is exceptional and really make for great quality cards.

I only have two scanned in right now but will update the rest of what I have over the weekend.

Joe Collins (no patch on sleeve)
collins.jpg

Gil Hodges
hodgesdormand.jpg

The Hodges card, up until about five years ago was thought to be non-existant as only one or two had ever been seen in the hobby. These used to go for thousands of dollars until the family of the man who produced these cards, Louis Dormand found literally a thousand or more of these cards in his possession after the photographer passed away. Apparently Hodges never arranged for the pick up of these cards from the photographer and they sat, untouched for decades. Needless to say the price has come way down since this find was revealed.

Last edited:

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
are those regular sized or oversized? That hodges is awesome looking. I'm gonna have to do some scanning tomorrow during football so I can show you guys some of my stuff.

mchenrycards

are those regular sized or oversized? That hodges is awesome looking. I'm gonna have to do some scanning tomorrow during football so I can show you guys some of my stuff.

My scanner sucks and does not do these cards justice in any way. They are postcard size and were produced mainly for the players to send to autograph seekers but I think they may have been sold at Yankee Stadium as well. It is a small set (about 50 if memory serves me right) with a few toughies but they are very affordable. Raw Mantles have been going for anywhere from 50 to 200 depending on the condition. There are variations for many of the players but still, it is a small set with great players and exceptional quality picture. I am loving this set so far

mchenrycards

I thought I would add some of the other Dormands that I have acquired. I just started this set a month or so ago and I am picking up many of the easy one's right now. Again, I am loving the backgrounds and the quality of these pictures. They remind me so much of the 1953 Bowman color cards......only less expensive.

sain.jpg

reynolds.jpg

mcdoug.jpg

furrillo.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

I just picked up another Dormand and this one is of pitcher, Tom Gorman. Again, I am loving these colors and backgrounds on these cards. I need to start picking up some of the bigger names on the checklist.

gorman.jpg

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow, those cards are gorgeous. I have a lot of '50s Yankees cards and autographs, but I don't have any of those. I love the McDougald, Sain and Reynolds.
The Gorman picture is not showing up for me.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Never seen them before but these ARE beautiful! Looks like a borderless 53 Bowman color with an autograph kick! Any idea if there's a Spahn in the set?

mchenrycards

Never seen them before but these ARE beautiful! Looks like a borderless 53 Bowman color with an autograph kick! Any idea if there's a Spahn in the set?
There is not a Spahn in the set which is disappointing as I would have love to see a card such as these that show the Milwaukee Braves uniforms. This set has mainly Yankees and Dodgers as it's focus but it also has a few White Sox thrown in for good measure. I have been wanting to write Billy Pierce to see what he knows about this set and help determine why, as a White Sox he was included when the rest of the set is New York based players but havnt done it yet. I suspect the reason is nothing more than he paid the photographer to make post cards so he can send them out to fans but we will see.

Members online

Latest posts