Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards you could have sold for more...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Looking back at some old scans and numbers I came across one of my favorite scans. After buying all these for between $13-$22, I sold them all two summers ago for $35+, including two 9.5s for $100+. It was an obvious sell, you just don't turn down ROI like that if you want to be consistently successful in prospecting. I have NO regrets, but I always think it's fun to see what cards get at their peak and what could have been if you could predict the future and knew exactly when to sell for the most profit.

The last raw Ref Autos of Myers topped $115 apiece!

Myers13RefAutos.jpg

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Had a BGs 9.5 Matt Kemp Gold Refractor auto I sold for either 250 or 300 about 4 years ago.

Saw a BGS 9 selling for 755 the other day

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
A few weeks ago, I found a 2009 Topps Chrome David Freese RC refractor in a box under my desk. These were selling for $100 last year during the World Series. I might be able to get $10 today.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
Not long after release, I got $60 each for two BC Trout Blue AUs. I try not to look back. It can ruin an afternoon.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
bout 9 years ago i bought a jordan gold starquest /100 for 200 at a show, flipped for 400, last one 2 weeks ago
did 2500.00. Id say of all sports, jordan is far and away the guy everyone wished they had back.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hosmer BC auto. Sold for $140 right after I pulled it last fall and they were going for $600ish at the start of this season.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I sold some Profar stuff last fall pretty cheap, but still made some money. Luckily bought back in to cash in this time around as well. Also had a Andrew McCutchen Sterling Auto I sold for ~$30 and could have gotten almost double if I waited a month. Nothing catastrophic.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm a firm believer in selling early versus holding and selling late. Basically, I'd rather get my money out early rather than flip the coin and risk and I think it's helped far more than it's hurt over the years.

I sold a few Mike Trout singles too early but still did really well (for my standards). My fondest recent sell memory was when I sold my 2010 Bowman Stephen Strasburg BGS 9.5 autograph for $1100...the last closed for $326. So it goes both ways.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I'm a firm believer in selling early versus holding and selling late. Basically, I'd rather get my money out early rather than flip the coin and risk and I think it's helped far more than it's hurt over the years.

I sold a few Mike Trout singles too early but still did really well (for my standards). My fondest recent sell memory was when I sold my 2010 Bowman Stephen Strasburg BGS 9.5 autograph for $1100...the last closed for $326. So it goes both ways.

Yep but we like to dwell on the loses more often than not. I remember selling a PSA 7 1953 Satchel Paige for $350 around 2000 before it went skyrocketing up to over 1K.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I sold THE Pujols for $1300 during his first World Series back in '04.

I figured World Series hype would be the perfect storm, but the sox steam rolled the cardinals in 4 games and the series was over quickly with no real price bump.

I had actually bought the redemption on ebay for $274 and sent it in to Topps. I got back number 042/500. It was awesome, but not a BGS 9.5 or anything. Had a surface dimple.

I thought NO WAY a baseball card could retain that kind of price, and NO WAY Pujols could continue his career at that insanely high level or not get injured, etc.

I needed the money at the time, and figured, i was selling at a very high water mark and could buy it back some day when he had a lull.

I cant even consider buying it back now. Oh well.

Last edited:

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I pulled an 07-08 Bowman Chrome Gold refractor Kevin Durant #/99. Out of a blaster for 19.99$ and quickly sold it for 100$. Fast forward to last year where one sold for 1400$. XXXX happens but I still made profit so I'm happy

STHendricks

May 3, 2010
MN
2 of mine would be the Trout BC Pristine Auto and Aaron Rodgers Contenders Auto that I had. Was into the Trout for $55, sold it for $350 when he debuted last yr, obviously this year could've got triple that. I was into the Rodgers at $110 and got $440, just before they won the Super Bowl, the following year they were double or slightly more...

MikeTroutBCBGS10.jpg

AaronRodgersContenders1.jpg

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I've only sold one card the entire 20+ years I have been collecting actually to someone I think is a member here and I'm regretting it even more now. That was a 2010 Bowman draft picks and prospects (or maybe it was Bowman, whatever his first Bowman card was) Profar red chrome auto numbered to 5 in what looked like gem mint condition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I should mention I sold it the month the product released.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Looking back at some old scans and numbers I came across one of my favorite scans. After buying all these for between $13-$22, I sold them all two summers ago for $35+, including two 9.5s for $100+. It was an obvious sell, you just don't turn down ROI like that if you want to be consistently successful in prospecting. I have NO regrets, but I always think it's fun to see what cards get at their peak and what could have been if you could predict the future and knew exactly when to sell for the most profit.

The last raw Ref Autos of Myers topped $115 apiece!

Hype - still have a couple of those ref autos you sold to me back then. Myers was one of my first stashes so it's not massive by any means and I sold all my color and elites but still have over 10 base autos, couple 9.5s and several ref autos. Sometimes you take the quick ROI and other times you take a gamble and hold longer if you really believe in a prospect.

On the other hand, I thought Domonic Brown was going to be something in the majors. So while I had people offering me $75 for his elites when I had several, I took the gamble that he would be Heyward-lite and held all but 2. Good plan. Recently sold a couple in April for $17, then one last week for $10. Still have one left...

There's a moral in here somewhere. I think it's that you shouldn't trust the government.

Last edited:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Hype - still have a couple of those ref autos you sold to me back then. Myers was one of my first stashes so it's not massive by any means and I sold all my color and elites but still have over 10 base autos, couple 9.5s and several ref autos. Sometimes you take the quick ROI and other times you take a gamble and hold longer if you really believe in a prospect.

On the other hand, I thought Domonic Brown was going to be something in the majors. So while I had people offering me $75 for his elites when I had several, I took the gamble that he would be Heyward-lite and held all but 2. Good plan. Recently sold a couple in April for $17, then one last week for $10. Still have one left...

There's a moral in here somewhere. I think it's that you shouldn't trust the government.

Good to hear, Myers was my biggest hit at the time, the Ref Autos were only part of the stash and I had a great time turning a four figure profit on all of it. But that just goes to show how awesome cards are, because I apparently left about $1k on the table for guys like yourself to cash in on. We might as well all win, right!?

Any plans on moving some of your Myers stuff? I have a feeling he'll be better than D Brown has turned out to be, but nevertheless, it's tough for prices to hold forever once they reach this point.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Good to hear, Myers was my biggest hit at the time, the Ref Autos were only part of the stash and I had a great time turning a four figure profit on all of it. But that just goes to show how awesome cards are, because I apparently left about $1k on the table for guys like yourself to cash in on. We might as well all win, right!?

Any plans on moving some of your Myers stuff? I have a feeling he'll be better than D Brown has turned out to be, but nevertheless, it's tough for prices to hold forever once they reach this point.

Nah mang, your thread brought to my attention the amount refs have been selling for. Was waiting for him to get the call but at this point I'm being greedy holding any longer. Might hold a few base for his debut but time to move the rest. My first prospect stash all grown up...

Obviously, I think highly of him and think he'll at least have a solid fantasy impact next year. I think .280 with 25 homers 75 rbi is realistic but may be reaching. Watched him play a couple times in the AFL last year and he crushed it, rekindling my hope he would turn out an elite prospect. Nice swing, easy power, seems to be a gamer so he'll definitely be fun to watch and a guy I'll root for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts