Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My 2012 Christmas Packs Project!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Hello everyone,

For the past eight years I have tried to exert self control by saving 365 packs each year (one per each day) and opening them on Christmas evening. It is the annual "gift to myself" project. I started this because I grew tired of asking for cards only to find none under the tree. Most of the time, my loved ones just had no idea what kind or type to get me. Throughout the year I gather these packs and boxes and keep them where I can see them. I OPEN NO PACKS ON ANY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR. I get them from major retailers like Blowout/DA, the LCS and even a handful from shows. Normally I do all hobby, but this year I have decided to also include retail rack packs and blasters from Target and Wal-Mart. My favorite part is sorting through these packs from time to time and imagining the possibilities. I also try to get as many different brands as possible, although none are junk. Every year I try to put a different take to the project to make it more interesting....this year I am doing old erpacks and racks. I have 1978-1985 Topps, Donruss and Fleer packs and racks, around 20 or so. Most of the packs are from 2011-2012, although I do have quite a few from 2010 and before. The day after Thanksgiving will also be a feast because I will be scouring the internet for the best deals. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for the project and hopefully encouraging some of y'all to do the same. By the way, no "huge pulls" but I've picked up dozens of game-used/auto, some 1/1 and even a rip card. It usually takes me about 3 hours to rip as I like to take it nice and slow.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
Don't forget this was a leap year, so shouldn't it be 366 packs?

I have followed along the last few years that you have done this. I wish I had that type of control myself. Goodluck with it and keep us updated.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Don't forget this was a leap year, so shouldn't it be 366 packs?

I have followed along the last few years that you have done this. I wish I had that type of control myself. Goodluck with it and keep us updated.

Holy cow, you are right!!! 366 packs it is! Should I keep a running list of packs so it's not such an enigma? :)

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

I should post a pic of boxes I'm sitting on waiting to be opened. (grin) Even at 2 packs a day, I'm not making much progress at putting a dent in them.

This thread subject has me wondering if I should chill out on 2 packs a day (730 packs a year) and open all of them on christmas eve and/or christmas. OTOH, I don't think it would be that much fun that way to blow it all in about 48 hours with the aftermath heading into New Years of some monster sorting/cataloging to do.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
I should post a pic of boxes I'm sitting on waiting to be opened. (grin) Even at 2 packs a day, I'm not making much progress at putting a dent in them.

This thread subject has me wondering if I should chill out on 2 packs a day (730 packs a year) and open all of them on christmas eve and/or christmas. OTOH, I don't think it would be that much fun that way to blow it all in about 48 hours with the aftermath heading into New Years of some monster sorting/cataloging to do.

I will admit the year long build up is so fun and those actual three-four hours is amazing. The aftermath is a pretty big letdown though. I even set a time to bust....7PM EST on Christmas Night.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
every year! :)

last year it was 10% off, storewide plus free S&H (covering up to $50)

PERFECT time to buy "junk wax" ... i got a box of 90/91 ProSet Hockey for $3.60 delivered :)

Paid appreciate a reminder on that Eric. I'm sure several of us would.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Dan - will do!

unrelated - what's so difficult about leaving packs unopened? :)

aa167e05.jpg

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
I know some people will doubt my sincerity when I say this...but who I get is not really so important. The funnest part is imagining what COULD be in there. When that doesn't happen, I really don't care....it's the funnest evening of the year for me and luckily, I have a wife who supports me in it :)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I know some people will doubt my sincerity when I say this...but who I get is not really so important. The funnest part is imagining what COULD be in there. When that doesn't happen, I really don't care....it's the funnest evening of the year for me and luckily, I have a wife who supports me in it :)

When opening old wax especially, you've hit the nail right on the head. its about what could be in it, and more importantly, it's about opening something that some of us opened all those years ago. Cherished memories of days gone by.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
When opening old wax especially, you've hit the nail right on the head. its about what could be in it, and more importantly, it's about opening something that some of us opened all those years ago. Cherished memories of days gone by.
I guarantee I will be opening a 1982 Donruss Fun Bag with 13 packs. Not only are they semi inexpensive ($30 for a sealed bag) but they is absolutely no way to tamper with them. I will not count the non-sport packs toward my total.

Latest posts