Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An Idea for a LEAF MILB set...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I already posted this in the rolling "New LEAF card/set design" thread on the LEAF forum but wanted to open the idea up to thoes who do not go/look there. I suppose my real question is would the prospectors aboard here be open to a LEAF milb baseball set that is not all Gltter and chrome? Something a bit more simple perhaps...? Something with a more traditional pack/box packout? The idea I had is a set called "Transitions" which basicly is a 4 tier set that features player card(s) that transitions in design and rarity. I'd love to see something like this on vintage card stock as well...

Any opinions?

LTPHS1.jpg
-
LTPHS2.jpg

LTPHS3.jpg
-
LTPHS4.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I figure based off a 80 man checklist you can have about 220 six box cases, each box with 24 packs that contain 8 cards per pack. If a box could be sold by LEAF for say $70 direct (~$100 retail), that would make $100,000.00 +/-... Could a product like this be made to see a profit considering money may be saved on the printing process not needing any special refractor/chrome type coating?

I figure it may take $30,000 or so for the sketch & auto cards alone...?

EDIT: The more I crunch numbers, the more I see this may need to be like a 18 pack per box venture, and more like 5 cards per pack as the dollars are just not adding up...

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The name "Transitions" is not the correct term for this concept. A transition is a change in position or time period, not in design, unless it were to show past designs "transitioning" to a current design.
What your set shows is a "variation."
A transition is a stage.

For instance, people make the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
Topps made the transition from thick brown card stock to glossy stock.
A politician makes the transition from Senator or Congressman or Governor to President.
Or a card showing a player as both a child and a pro would be a transition.

Your set merely shows the same picture, photograph or sketch, along with different backgrounds, or an autograph.
Maybe change the name to Variance? Or Parallels?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I see your point Austin, but in this case the use of the term transition is with regard to the transition of concept (design), transitioning from one thing to another, which as far s I understand is quite a common use of term. Also, each parallel is deemed a 'stage' (ie; stage 1, stage 2, ect..) so I think it may be appropriate. Either way, the actual visual design is just a concept for the general idea of a less flashy set, something with a bit more vintage feel and traditional pack/box out.

Last edited:

hofvintagecollector

Apr 8, 2012
Stage 1 could be pictures of MILB'ers eating hotdogs or various ball park snacks
Stage 2 could be pictures of them showing a feeling of fullness, maybe a hand rubbing a stomach
Stage 3 could be pictures of them with upset stomach or indigestion due to eating crappy ballpark food
Stage 4 could be pictures of them in a dirty ballpark bathroom

Name it, "From Digestion to Defecation"

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Stage 1 could be pictures of MILB'ers eating hotdogs or various ball park snacks
Stage 2 could be pictures of them showing a feeling of fullness, maybe a hand rubbing a stomach
Stage 3 could be pictures of them with upset stomach or indigestion due to eating crappy ballpark food
Stage 4 could be pictures of them in a dirty ballpark bathroom

Name it, "From Digestion to Defecation"

They could have a "Dropping a Deuce" inscription with the autograph

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If you do "Transitions" do it with a TBall pic (or backyard family baseball pic) as your first card. Little League as Tier 2. College or First Pro Team (depending on the players situation) as Tier 3 and then their most recent minor league team as the auto'd card. Just a hairbrained idea.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If you do "Transitions" do it with a TBall pic (or backyard family baseball pic) as your first card. Little League as Tier 2. College or First Pro Team (depending on the players situation) as Tier 3 and then their most recent minor league team as the auto'd card. Just a hairbrained idea.

Didnt the 1972 topps set have a subset featuring players as kids....?

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I don't think I'd be interested in the product either. Now the ***** league set, that's a different story. Really hope that comes out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts