Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The NFL QB Class Through Week 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
http://freedomcardboard.com/blog/2012/09/10/the-2012-nfl-quarterback-draft-class-through-week-1/

The NFL is back, and these highly touted rookie quarterbacks have one game under their belts. This obviously means we know everything about these quarterbacks that we need to know. Ok, that was sarcasm. In reality this was only a small glimpse into the game that these guys are capable of playing.

Let’s take a look at three rookie quarterback performances from Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, and Brandon Weeden. Just for kicks let’s rank them from in order of performance.
#1 Robert Griffin III: RG3 excelled at every thing you could ask a quarterback to do in an NFL game. He calmly lead a very precise Redskins attack with few mistakes and efficiency not normally seen from a rookie. Keep in mind this is a franchise that hasn’t seen a real winner at quarterback for quite some time.

His stat line was absolutely impressive as he went 19 for 26 with 320 through the air. The 42 timely yards on the ground were a factor as well as he was brilliant on third down. His beautiful throw to hit Pierre Garcon in stride is what skins fan hope becomes a theme for this new NFL season. The big W makes his day even more impressive as he was the only rookie quarterback to win this week.

#2 Andrew Luck: This year’s #1 overall draft pick ran into a buzz saw in week 1 as the Bears defense obviously comes ready to play. Luck was harassed all day, sacked three times, and picked off three times as well. This was more about the Bears than Andrew, and I guarantee you that there will be veteran quarterbacks and even pro bowlers with worse games against this D. He wasn’t without some brilliance of his own as that 31 yard td pass to TY Hilton is a throw that many current NFL starters are just not able to make.
His stat line was 23 of 45 for 309 yards three picks and one touchdown. Respectable considering he was facing a top tier defense. The loss stings, but keep in mind, this is a rebuilding Colts team vs a Bears team that many people have picked to win the Super Bowl.

#3 Ryan Tannehill: Another rookie quarterback vs another really good defense. This couldn’t possibly turn out good for Ryan. The odds were against Luck being effective today, and Tannehill had a similar uphill battle as he was sure to see JJ Watt in his face all day. He was doing pretty good until he threw three picks in 6 minutes. 20 of 36 for 219 yards and no end zone with him under center spells out a pretty bad day for any quarterback in this pass happy NFL.

#4 Brandon Weeden: If Ryan Tannehill was below average, then Weeden was atrocious. 12 of 35 with 4 picks is bad for anyone in any situation. It takes a lot to make Browns fans look for Colt McCoy, but that’s exactly what happened today as Weeden looked lost. It’s a good thing Trent Richardson is a full grown man and should be one of the top backs in the league as early as this year. The Browns are really gonna need that running game.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
The fact that Russell Wilson isn't even mentioned is a little bit upseting, but whatever. I watched both the Philadelphia versus Cleveland game as well as Seattle versus Arizona, there is a huge difference in ability between Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson. Weeden did not look like an NFL quarterback at all, he he was staring down his wide receivers and forcing the ball. Wilson used his physical ability to make more stuff happen than was there; if Matt Flynn had been quarterback we would have had north of five stacks. There are many things that could be blamed, wide receivers dropping balls, terrible playcalling, but most importantly I would blame it on the glass cannon that the Seahawks call the offensive line. Personally, I would love to have seen on first down a draw. Arizona had been rushing the outside trying to collapse the pocket and force Russell to make a pass, I think if we would've gone trips right (to force man coverage) with Lynch in the backfield we could have walked into the end zone.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
The fact that Russell Wilson isn't even mentioned is a little bit upseting, but whatever. I watched both the Philadelphia versus Cleveland game as well as Seattle versus Arizona, there is a huge difference in ability between Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson. Weeden did not look like an NFL quarterback at all, he he was staring down his wide receivers and forcing the ball. Wilson used his physical ability to make more stuff happen than was there; if Matt Flynn had been quarterback we would have had north of five stacks. There are many things that could be blamed, wide receivers dropping balls, terrible playcalling, but most importantly I would blame it on the glass cannon that the Seahawks call the offensive line. Personally, I would love to have seen on first down a draw. Arizona had been rushing the outside trying to collapse the pocket and force Russell to make a pass, I think if we would've gone trips right (to force man coverage) with Lynch in the backfield we could have walked into the end zone.

Russell Wilson didn't suck

Brandon Weeden did

This wasn't an article about the top performing quarterbacks, it's an article about the draft class. Yes, Wilson is in that class but these were the 4 most talked about QB's at the time of the draft.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Russell Wilson didn't suck

Brandon Weeden did

This wasn't an article about the top performing quarterbacks, it's an article about the draft class. Yes, Wilson is in that class but these were the 4 most talked about QB's at the time of the draft.

I just figured you would want to include him because up until the game started he was arguably one of the hottest football player card wise.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Everything i was reading was that fact that there were 5 RC QBs starting in the NFL. Outside of all the hype around RGIII and Luck there was still a lot of talk about the other three. I agree with SydBarrett though, if you're going to talk about those four you have to have Wilson in there. Also just a suggestion but you could have added on about how poorly guys like Vick played and how their are RCs (Foles) waiting to get their chance.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Everything i was reading was that fact that there were 5 RC QBs starting in the NFL. Outside of all the hype around RGIII and Luck there was still a lot of talk about the other three. I agree with SydBarrett though, if you're going to talk about those four you have to have Wilson in there. Also just a suggestion but you could have added on about how poorly guys like Vick played and how their are RCs (Foles) waiting to get their chance.

ya gotta cut it off somewhere, I chose Tannehill because of the worst 6 mins of the week and I chose weeden because of the total flop

Most articles are about extremes.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I agree, however your title the 2012 nfl quarterback draft class through week 1 should include Wilson since he falls in this category. Its like not like there were 3-5 other guys that you left out. It was only one guy.

Either way one of the sports writers on Twitter yesterday made a comment that Weeden and Tennehill were obviously not ready because of the INTs they threw. I replied, so does that mean that Matt Stafford isnt ready either? lol I like how you made note that they played tough defenses.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I wasn't trying to bash you at all Chris, I sincerely appreciate new content. It was just a suggestion.

That said if you're looking for people to write, please feel free to send me a private message and I would love to write something for the website.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
"Let's take a look at three"...when we're actually going to take a look at four, but perhaps should take a look at all five rookie QBs.

As for the hype around Wilson, the lack of hype had to do with height, not skill-set or intelligence. As a starter in the NFL, that question has been answered.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Although I'd love it if he did, Luck didn't have a 31 yd TD pass to Hilton, in fact I don't think Hilton played in the game at all did he?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Can't believe I had RGIII on my fantasy bench this past Sunday.

oh wait, I started Matty Ice...nevermind.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I ment to point out the impressive pass to hilton in the pre season as proof that luck could throw tough balls.

I thought that was where you were going. I don't think Hilton suited up due to a quad or hammy. He'll be back and I suspect the name will be heard often eventually. I too was wondering where Wilson was. I know you got to cut it off but you hit 4 so why not grab the 5th and final rookie starter for sake of completeness. It would be fun to take a card angle on this too. Griffin's stuff shot up, Luck largely unchanged. I have not looked at the others.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I spent time with Russell and he is VERY smart.. That is a head start for sure

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I believe some good performances this week should make this thread bump-worthy...

Although I'd still sell Weeden now if I had any left...;)

Members online

Latest posts