Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Only 477 days until the Topps exclusive license is over!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Saw this on some website. Just hope MLB wises up and doesn't give another exclusive deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Saw this on some website. Just hope MLB wises up and doesn't give another exclusive deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Actually I think MLB stands to benefit more financially from Topps' exclusive contract as compared to granting a license to a second manufacturer. At this point, I think the only other company that could afford it is Panini, but judging by the vitriol thrown their way from collectors in other sports on various forums, they don't seem any better than Topps. Who knows though, maybe if Panini opens their coffers enough to make it worthwhile for MLB to grant them a license and not renew Topps' exclusive, we could see better products and more value for the collector...or not.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Open up the license, let more players get involved. Companies that can push the envelope and help build the MLB brand.

Topps is Topps...nothing new, but so ingrained in Americana. But no need for an exclusive.

That said, with the USA Baseball deal, expect Panini to get a license. And if two...why not 3...4...5...?

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I can't stand exclusive contracts. Pictures of players without team logos bug me. They look like softball players with their blank hats. For example, the Leaf Pete Rose set would look so much better if his hat had Reds, Phillies and Expos logos on them. I'd buy a couple of boxes, but I don't like pictures of blank hats.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Open up the license, let more players get involved. Companies that can push the envelope and help build the MLB brand.

Topps is Topps...nothing new, but so ingrained in Americana. But no need for an exclusive.

That said, with the USA Baseball deal, expect Panini to get a license. And if two...why not 3...4...5...?

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

The MLB brand won't be furthered any more by having more cards or more brands.

Can anyone honestly say that more manufacturers 'pushing the envelope' in the past had a lasting effect on baseball cards? I didn't think so.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
No way near money and hobby support to have a bunch of comapnies cranking out crap every week.
MLB was smart to somewhat limit the market and not have massive flood. Reason why UD/Fleer ect went bankrupt.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
No way near money and hobby support to have a bunch of comapnies cranking out crap every week.
MLB was smart to somewhat limit the market and not have massive flood. Reason why UD/Fleer ect went bankrupt.

That was the point of the contract; to limit products....... Lot of good that did. The new agreement must set limits and fewer Topps products "should" improve the overall brand and consumer attitude.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That was the point of the contract; to limit products....... Lot of good that did. The new agreement must set limits and fewer Topps products "should" improve the overall brand and consumer attitude.

This is a reach at best. For all we know, fewer Topps products = layoffs at Topps = worse customer service.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Sure Gilmore or one of crack FCB staff knows.
Football still cranks out massive amounts of junk sets every year. How many official licensed releases does MLB have out a year via Topps, compared to the other sports. Football must have 50

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Less products from Topps just means more overpriced gambling products!

IMO,
Let there be 4 companies selling baseball cards....25 products a year per manufacturer
Means more choices...Dealers don't have to buy everything, some dealers don't buy everything now and there's only 30 or so products...
Sure there will be dud products but there will also be good ones...
Nowadays, a product comes out and everyone busts and sells at the same time, devaluing the cards...
Make more products that are more limited, then the value holds for those cards.

This way you can buy prospector products, and retired player products, current player products,
one with all three, etc..

Topps adds online only products and they sell through the roof...

They can do a lot of those type products, minis, glossy, etc and sell them through hobby stores & distributors.

All they have to do is print to order (or up to a certain amount)
and that would help dud products

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
Let there be 4 companies selling baseball cards....25 products a year per manufacturer

Um, no. Grant two companies licenses and limit them to 15 products each. That would be ideal. This would leave Topps with:

1. Bowman
2. Bowman Chrome
3. Bowman Draft
4. Finest
5. A & G
6. Heritage
7. Topps 1
8. Topps 2
9. Topps 3
10. Topps Chrome
11. Archives/GQ
12. Bowman Platinum/Sterling