Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Reason for MLB exclusive deal with Topps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Well having been a big fan of Upper Deck and Donruss cards growing up and wondering why MLB gave the exclusive license to Topps, I finally thought to find out why. Apparently MLB thought by giving the license to Topps, which at that time was acquired by Eisner, the former CEO of Disney, they could invigorate the market with younger kids. Here's a couple of quotes from Eisner about the deal:

"This is redirecting the entire category towards kids"

"Topps has been making cards for 60 years, the last 30 in a nonexclusive world that has caused confusion to the kid who walks into a Walmart or a hobby store. It's been hard to promote cards as unique and original"

Don't know how products like Five Star, Tier 1, Triple Threads, Tribute, Museum Collection, etc promotes this since even most adults cant afford these cards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Just think it's kind of disingenuous for Topps to sell the idea of having an exclusive license saying it's to attract kids to baseball and then have almost every new product they make a high end product that no kid could possibly afford.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Thought I was the only Donruss fan.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Even if all the manufacturers were still here, people would still want MORE.

Big problem though - the hobby simply can't support all of it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'll admit that I'm a couple years removed from buying wax, but aren't base Topps packs pushing $3 thees days? One would think that if they truly wanted to get kids more involved, they'd find a way to be creative with some affordable products.

What purpose does breaking the exclusive contract serve for topps or baseball when no one has stopped producing cards?

You can buy any handful of cards with blurred logos and generic outfits..

To gain Favor with the powers that be and move towards a license maybe companies should stop producing knockoff cards. Excel in an area you are allowed to make cards then move into the arena next negotiation period.

Or continue to make 1980s tru value wanna be cards. Whatever..

And before I get the license doesn't matter.. It truly does.

Look across the brands and tell me that non MLB licensed cards sell for the same as their counterparts. They don't.

Yes you can make money off of them I you buy and sell right.. But there isn't the retention of value.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Exactly. Topps was full of it and don't think their goal was ever to market to kids. I think they deceived mlb into thinking they would market to kids, especially based on the fact that the owner was the former ceo of Disney, just to get an exclusive license.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
While you are correct MLB is getting zero money from Panini etc. MLB was pissed at DLP not Panini and I will bet beer money that MLB will be trying to sell them a license at a reasonable price; the past BS offering was unrealistic and Panini was able to produce more profits with airbrushing.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Don't think it's fair to ask all other companies to just not make any baseball cards because they don't have a license. I mean I don't know the figures but I assume baseball card sales might be more than all other sports card sales combined. Also think these other companies can't survive on non baseball alone. Besides, without having to pay for the license, they can sell a lot less and still turn a profit.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
(...) wondering why MLB gave the exclusive license to Topps, I finally thought to find out why.

Try: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exclusivity should bring a premium revenue dollar than the revenue from two or more card companies where you lose the exclusivity premium.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Well having been a big fan of Upper Deck and Donruss cards growing up and wondering why MLB gave the exclusive license to Topps, I finally thought to find out why. Apparently MLB thought by giving the license to Topps, which at that time was acquired by Eisner, the former CEO of Disney, they could invigorate the market with younger kids. Here's a couple of quotes from Eisner about the deal:

"This is redirecting the entire category towards kids"

"Topps has been making cards for 60 years, the last 30 in a nonexclusive world that has caused confusion to the kid who walks into a Walmart or a hobby store. It's been hard to promote cards as unique and original"

Don't know how products like Five Star, Tier 1, Triple Threads, Tribute, Museum Collection, etc promotes this since even most adults cant afford these cards.

So you think Topps should just make a bunch 99 cents packs. Then expect to be able to pay HUGE license fees to MLB, Players Association ect.
I love all ensteins here who know how to run a card company. Have all answers. A bunch cheap lines would put any card company out of business in hurry.

Members online