Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jake Odorizzi Called Up to the Royals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Notes: Odorizzi called up to pitch for the Royals

Kansas City summoned five Omaha players to the major leagues after Saturday's game, with the most notable inclusion starting pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi and the most notable exclusion All-PCL pitcher Ryan Verdugo.

Besides Odorizzi, those called up by the Royals were starting pitcher Nate Adcock, reliever Tommy Hottovy, infielder Irving Falu and catcher Adam Moore.

It is the first big-league callup for Odorizzi, who went a combined 15-5 with a 3.03 ERA at the minor league level, including 11-3 with a 2.93 ERA with Omaha.

“I was hoping, but you never really know,” Odorizzi said.

Odorizzi, 22, one of the key pieces acquired in the Zack Greinke trade with Milwaukee after the 2010 season, had a hard time suppressing a smile during a postgame interview.

“I called my fiancée and she was overwhelmed, called my parents and they were excited, woke up my grandparents and they were happy,” Odorizzi said.

Odorizzi got a few tips on protocol from Adcock and is to report for Sunday's 1 p.m. game.

“First time called up, that's pretty exciting,” Omaha manager Mike Jirschele said. “And he earned it. It's well-deserved.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120915/SPORTS/709159781/1178

Members online